For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Thursday 2 July 2009

Post number 14 (Roy Bridge – Glen Spean)


Wednesday 24th June 2009. Carn Dearg and Sgor Gaibrhe – 22km – 790m of ascent.




The caravan site is about 300 yds. from Roy Bridge Station on the West Highland Line, which in turn is only two stops away from the Corrour Halt. Corrour is remote in the middle of Rannoch Moor with no vehicular access and exists only to service the Corrour Estate and its visiting deer stalkers and the like as well as Munroists. There are three Munros available here, one of which I did last summer (Ben na Lap) during my Land’s End to John ‘o Groats walk after which I stayed at the very good bed and breakfast located in the old station house.
Today I was doing the remaining two Munros. On boarding the train with my bike I was told by an officious guard to go to a particular end of the train. When the ticket man came round he told me I would not be able to disembark from that end of the train at Corrour so I then had to wheel my bike down the whole length of the train (two or three carriages) with people moving dogs and themselves out of my path.

The train deposited me at 8:30am and the return train was at 3:20pm, the next one being after 9:00pm, so I was under some pressure to complete the round in time. It was hot and sunny and having to hurry promoted a good deal of perspiration. I was able to use my bike on about four km each way of pleasant Land Rover track along the shore of Loch Ossian. This was an enjoyable trip and somewhat nostalgic with views of my route on LEJOG walk last summer.

In the end I got back with forty minutes to spare.

No comments:

Post a Comment