For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Friday 18 September 2009

31 - Walking Aspirations

Leg dressings have been dispensed with. I am driving and getting around fairly normally. Jill’s house is on the market and I am looking after Jake the dog so viewing can take place in her absence. For the last two days I have taken Jake for short walks, fifteen minutes or so, but I do intend to take things very steadily for some time.

My knees are still suspect so I’m not sure if I will be able to do long walks again but my appetite has been mightily whetted in the last twenty four hours by news on Gayle and Mick’s blog: http://gayleybird.blogspot.com/

I met Gayle and Mick last year on my LEJOG walk which they also completed. They have since done The Coast to Coast, The TGO Challenge (a several day west to east traverse of Scotland), and a weekend crossing, west to east of Wales. Their next project is the diagonal from Kent to Cape Wrath, a route I have considered myself. When I tried to define a route on Memory Map the footpath system through Kent and even to the north of London seemed fragmentary and unsatisfactory, so I will be interested to see what Gayle and Mick make of it. They have stated a proposed start date for 2nd April.

If I feel I can tackle another walk there are two possibilities for next year. The first would be in France following the GR7 through the Languedoc and the Cevennes. The second would be a route in the UK which I have already plotted on Memory Map starting at Lowestoft, meandering through The Broads, then round the perimeter of The Wash and heading up the east coast as far as Whitby then cutting across to St Bees Head on the west coast of The Lake District.

2 comments:

  1. If you manage the GR7 next year, and if you do it in mid-June, there'll be a free bed waiting for you in St Jean de la Blaquière. It's already booked

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks as though the GR7 goes very close to St J de la B so this could be a date.

    ReplyDelete