For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Thursday 1 July 2010

Day 19 - Reighton to Scalby

I have written this post once and lost it in the ether for which I am very cross.

Two more beach walks during the day. The first was Humanby beach leading to Filey. I was on this beach within twenty minutes and in another fifteen minutes there was a super little beach cafe at Hunanby Gap perched perilously eighty feet up the cliff. I had breakfast. The two ladies were listening avidly to Yorkshire Radio because they had a spot about a protest they had made. Contractors doing pipework had done damage to the cliff edge potentially speeding up the rampant erosion

Since being back on the coast erosion has been abundantly evident, but so it was over fifty years Ago when I spent my childhood holidays on this coast.

Beach walking is great, but you have to walk in the right place, that is where the tide had just been. I had also checked the tide table.

Filey isn't a bad little place and much more to my taste than it's seaside neighbours. From here out to Filey Brig, quite dramatic, then good cliff top walking unfortunately there was a sea fret most of the day, but there were occasional sun bursts revealing spectacular cliff scenery and birds. At my lunch stop I heard strange noises from the rocks far below which I reckon were seals.

Further on I was forced down to the beach again by a road closure (more erosion). I had to literally rock climb over massive boulders round a headland for a long way, and then less seriously round another to get onto the vast Scarborough Beach.

Scarborough was buzzing and I buzzed off as quickly as possible following the cliff path again- this is actually The Cleveland way which I will follow as far as Sandsend when I turn left and inland. I have walked large parts of the Cleveland Way and I reckon it is a very worthwhile LDP.

At Scalby the site turned out to be another excellent Camping and Caravan Club site. I think they are starting to rival the CC for quality.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment