For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Thursday 5 May 2011

Welsh Boundary Walk - Gyrn Goch (north of Trefor) to Caernarfon

Thursday 5th May - day 16
First of all, these Welsh names. I am aware of misspelling some of them when working from memory, but digging back into the rucksack for a map or other source that one has just put away can be more troublesome than you might expect.
It rained in the night, then stopped. The tent was dry until I was half way through packing up then it started again, so I was faced with packing a wet tent. It has rained on and off all day, but after fifteen days of good weather I can't really complain. Today has been all on Tarmac, but for a lot of the way the A 499 had a splendid, smooth cycle track.
I only had a couple of biscuits before setting off and held out little hope of anything else for sometime judging from the map, but at Clynnog Fawr there was a Londis where I had a good tuna mayonnaise bap and Aero chocolate. The two kind ladies running the shop also made me a cup of tea.
Leaving that unexpected oasis I sensed rubbing on my heel. These things must be dealt with straight away, but it was raining and I needed kit from rucksack, and a friendly environment to work in - now here is a tip for my fellow backpackers. I went into the village church and was able to perform my tasks in peace and quiet, but with a slight guilty conscience. I did put an offering in the box.
At Dinas Dinllie I was wet (only on the outside) and somewhat bedraggled and went into a dismal seaside cafe for tea and a cake. There was a very young girl serving with a mixture of strange coulours to her hair, and one lonely couple sat at a table - business was not brisk. Radio 1 was playing at fairly high volume- how anybody can listen to that stuff all day is beyond me.
I decided for a hotel or similar rather then putting up the wet tent in the continuing rain.
The TIO in Caerrnarfon recommended The Black Boy (reminds me of Little Black Sambo). I went there and they wanted £99 b and b. They told me of guest houses in Church Street nearby. One was full and at the other two nobody answered the door . I went back to the TIO. They now recommended the Bron Menai Guest House where I am comfortably installed for half the price, and they also do evening meals. Why couldn't the TIO have told me about this in the first place?
Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment