For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Sunday 22 May 2011

Welsh Boundary Walk - Hay on Wye to Pandy

Sunday 22nd May - day 33
A rare event this morning, it was raining and windy. The Belmont b and b, although not en-suite was a bargain at £30.
The highlight of the day, and I reckon perhaps the whole walk, was the ridge from Hay to Pandy. This is one of the best ridges in th UK-it extends for twelve miles undulating gently with little loss or gain in height. Most of the time there are hugely extensive views on both sides at the same time, the Welsh mountains to the west and the plains of Monmouthshire and Hereford to the east. The footpath is a mixture of cropped turf, constructed consolidated gravel, and extensive use of huge flag stones apparently from old mills.
As I was climbing onto the start of the ridge I met a party being led by the landlord of The Pandy Inn including his wife, a friend and their daughter, and a Springer Spaniel. They were walking for the Help for Heroes charity. I learnt that the pub has an attached bunk house giving me peace of mind for tonight's lodgings.
The rain ceased but there was a ferocious wind blowing accross the direction of travel, but its overriding quality was it's unremitting constancy for the whole of the twelve miles. Skies cleared and sun shone on and off with huge rolling white clouds. It was quite a challenge under those conditions but a great and memorable walk for me as well as being a trip of nostalgia because I did the same traverse in the other direction in 2008 on my LEJOG walk.
I had passed the pub group, but high praise to them when they arrived at the pub only twenty minutes after me. The landlord's wife came up and gave me a big kiss!
This was certainly the best walk of the trip so far.

Sent from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Sounds an exhilarating traverse Sir Hugh. And a kiss as well! No shortage of rain and strong winds up here at present.

    ReplyDelete