For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Monday 23 May 2011

Welsh Boundary Walk - Pandy to Skenfrith

Monday 23rd May - day 34
I ate well at The Old Pandy Inn last night, I won' t bore you with all the details but it did include a huge Yorkshire pudding.
I thought I might have a further chat with mine host but he did not reappear. I would have liked to have asked him various questions about the locality. In particular I wonder what that ridge would be like in winter; I reckon it would make a stunning walk on the right day.
When I asked about breakfast they didn't serve until 8:30 so I opted for a tray which was delivered to the bunkhouse for me, and I was able to gave a reasonable breakfast. The bunkhouse is integral with the pub and well appointed. The Old Pandy Inn has a good atmosphere and obviously caters well for walkers- it remind ne a little of The Crask Inn in Scotland, but of course that is a seriously special place.
Today was a short walk if about ten miles with the ib ejective being The Bell at Skenfrith where I woul meet my brother and sister in law for a night of comfort at their home in Hereford.
As I approached the pub, which is a bit of an upmarket fastro type place, I was caught in a bit I'd driving drizzle, and so presented myself looking a bit damp on top of my general hobo appearance. When I asked if I could gave a sandwich and tea I thought the girl said "would you like to go through to The Stable pointing vaguely to an offshoot of the dining room. I was amused to think that I had immediately been assessed as only vein suitable for the stable. I raised thus with the girl later, and of course she had said "table" not "stable".
I was duly picked up by Rod and Veronica and after a brief stop at their 24 hr. Tesco it was back to their house and a much needed bath. I also had the luxury of having all my clothing washed and dried. We dined well with a good Burgundy and afterwards a Lebanese full bodied red, heavy and lucious, which was a new experience for me which I will be looking to repeat when I get back.
Thanks to R and V for a great stopover. I was also saved from marching through an afternoon of quite heavy rain.
Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment