For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Sunday 8 May 2011

Welsh Boundary Walk - Rhos on Sea to Gronant (east of Prestatyn)

Sunday 8th May - day 19
Totally flat walking all day along sea front promenades: Colwyn Bay, Abergele, Rhyl and Prestatyn.
The Welsh Coast has been a real treat until today, even the quality of conversation with people has declined. Tomorrow, after Point of Ayr I will be heading inland.
When I printed out my maps on A4 there were 100 sheets. Today, day 19, I am on sheet 34, so allowing sixty days for my 2 month target I am slightly ahead of schedule and just one third of the way round.
The front at Rhyl was dreadful. Blaring amusement arcades and the sickly overpowering stench of food deep fried in rancid oil which seemed to hit you in warm wafts. I couldn't, bear to go into any of the cafes.
Once again the site I was aiming for marked on the OS map has packed up, but fortunately I found out in Prestatyn and identified the site I am now on. If I had not done the research I would have found myself in the wilderness with nowhere to stay.

I had just finished writing this when I was hailed by new arrivals. They had a tent lent to them by a friend, had not camped before, and had no idea how to erect the tent. Fortunately it went in a similar way to my own, so ten minutes later I am back in my tent adding this little tit bit, and it has just started raining.
Sent from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Can;t find the information on Dick Morsley. One reference to the first ascent of Comb Gully [1938] on The Ben. Don't know where Suicide Wall is in Scotland.Will keep looking - haven't got J H B Bell's book, but know a man that has.
    Have a feeling they ran a pub in New Mills once.
    I think you'll start and enjoy the scenery once walking down the border away from costa fish and chips.
    Been busy this weekend with organising the Charity Sponsored walk at Bushells[my mothers home]Think raised nearly £1000!
    Regards JP

    ReplyDelete