For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Sunday 21 April 2013

Pic and Mix Marilyns

More tech has contributed to my trip. A booking for a crossing to the Isle of Wight for tomorrow was successfully achieved with the iPad. Then I found I needed to print out the booking confirmation received by email. I haven't printed from the iPad before, but had witnessed daughter Jill doing so. I knew my printer can work wirelessly. Having little faith in making that happen I decided to copy the email by placing the iPad on the printer bed, but it only printed a blank screen enclosed by a picture of the surrounding case of the tablet.

Plan B was pure triumph. I made the iPad recognise the printer and I now have a copy of my booking. This might not sound like much to some, but I feel very proud.

The first Marilyn today, Walbury Hill (SU 373 616), had the most extensive 360 degree view I have seen outside Scotland, but because the summit is a vast, gently rounded area it is not possible to convey the drama with my limited photographic skill. I did take a video, but even that does not do justice:  CLICK HERE


The next hill was a total contrast from the rolling downs. Black Down (SU 919 296) involved a dramatic 4 kilometre drive down a heavily wooded, single track, badly surfaced lane. A rough clearing at the end provided a makeshift car park with a remote feeling. The map indicated the road continuing as a white road (unsurfaced).

A steep but atmospheric path through a Scots pine wood interspersed with brambles and gorse eventually came out onto a plateau of thinned old pines and heathland. The trig, once again was partly hidden in the woods. Different woods, for me have different characters, and the old Scott's Pine seems friendly, warm and welcoming, especially when there are also extensive views and the sun is shining, and the sky is half bright white and blue.

Back at the car satnav told me to continue on the white road to my next destination, and I bravely obeyed. It turned out to be Tarmac and only half the distance to a proper road than the nerve racking single tracker I had arrived by.

What a contrast again for Number Three, Butser Hill (SU 717 203). Before I even arrived, having pulled onto the grass verge for an oncoming car the driver stopped alongside and gave me his partly used parking ticket. A few hundred yards further and I arrived at the car park which could have been for Disneyland. Cars, tripper visitor people, and dogs were everywhere. A hundred yards from the car park the crowds thinned as I made the half kilometre to the trig. Perhaps the rule here should be never on a Sunday (when the sun is shining).





Walbury Hill trig





Start of path to Black Down




As I was climbing the path I thought
that this would be a likely place for adders,
then this sign foir the Serpent Trail appeared.





Scots pines and heathland at Black Mount summit





Butser Hill summit from where I could see the Isle of Wight




Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

  1. I am beginning to think that the criteria for a Marilyn should include a maximum circumference at 75% of the height of √(π.h)/2 where h is the height above sea level (doesn't matter if imperial or metric units are used as the expression is dimensionless).
    This will enhance views, strenuousness of assault, reduce congestion and litter and overall lead to highlighted tales of derring-do.
    Perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gimmer - I see what you are getting at and agree to some extent. Some of these hills cover a large area with their nominal 150m base that the concept of it being a pointy mountain or hill is lost. For me the value of this list is just getting me out and about with some focus and
    visiting new places.

    From what I have read researching the Marilyns list was no easy task, and even now, I understand,, there may still be odd ones that have not been identified. Forming your proposed list would be another monumental task even though it would only be a matter of eliminating the Ms that didn't qualify.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Conrad, I've just caught up with your adventures. Do take care - Marilyn bagging can become an obsession. I've seen what it can do to people!
    Have fun! Martin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phreerunner - hi. If you look at the title of today's post which I hope to complete tonight,, I think you will realise that your warning was too late.

    ReplyDelete