For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Tuesday 4 June 2013

SE Coast Monday 2

I've survived the first six miles from Lowestoft to the Camping and Caravan Club site at Kessingland. There is a pub nearby so I shall eat there.

I met a guy along the way who rather irritatingly identified my accent as northern. I didn't know it was that bad, anyway he originally came from Bramley near Leeds but he and his wife taught at Milton Keenes and they have very thankfully retired to the Suffolk coast. Milton Keenes sounded like a bad experience for both of them.




Looking back to Lowestoft





First night's camp

- Posted using BlogPress from

my iPhone

5 comments:

  1. There's nowt wrong with sounding like a norther lad!
    Glad to see you're in Kessingland. We once stayed there with our (then) young children, we all loved it. The zoo-type place next door provided the kids with hours of entertainment.
    We ate at the same pub - only once though. Feeding a family with pub meals every day is an expensive do!
    Keep up the good walk.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - accents don't count: content, grammar and syntax do

    after all, who could dislike the soft lilting of a Hebridean damsel, whispering the purest Queen's English in all her far-flung realms!

    glad to hear the game gangs weel fa' noo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to get the maps out to see where you are and where you are going. There look to be an awful lot of sea inlets to get round before you reach London.
    Think you've picked good weather, I know you have no choice really. Hope its not too hot. Will there be any wild camping or have you organised it with sites in mind.
    Go easy on the knee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting that you refer to your accent as bad rather than, say, strong. A defect rather than a regional fol-de-rol.

    I too have a "bad" accent. A bit like constantly trailing muddy boots - never to be cleaned - over a thousand carpets. A continuous aural spoor.

    The years in the USA afforded me respite. Most Americans have tin ears and the way I spoke was thought to be toffee-nosed. For a time I was able to imagine what it would be like to come from the south-east, the land of privilege, acute Metro-centricity and of whinging about the provinces when it's thought they have something that south-easterners haven't - eg, full reservoirs, a regular power supply.

    Lowestoft will never be same ever since that tri-partite discussion when you were listing your itinerary, came to L and our dear brother butted in: "A terrible place." I phoned him yesterday and his pleasure at hearing my voice brought me close to tears at how careless I have been over these last six months. Despite his problems he was keen to tell me that my book remains on display and anyone calling asks about it. "A tough job for you since you haven't read it," I said. "It's my eyes," he replied. "No, it's because you don't like it," I said. And he roared with unrestrained laughter.

    I suggested he responded to future visitors by saying he'd read it and it was rotten. And he laughed again.

    A good day for us both. But I'm well aware they can't all be good. I was lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JJ - it's expensive enough on my own.

    Gimmer - reminds me of a little milk jug my grandma had which had the inscription "stracht frae the coo". I think I was about 21 when I realised what it meant.

    Bc - the inlets make for interest. Wild camping? Not if I can help it!

    RR - thanks for the heartwarming comment. Great to here you have spoken to Nick. I am hoping to send him some postcards.

    ReplyDelete