For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Sunday 9 February 2014

Yr Eifl, 564m

Today I revisited part of my 2011 walk round Wales ascending from the village of Llithfaen to a car park to climb Yr Eifl. I took a circular route making the final climb from the east and descended to the west. The ground was unbelievably dry considering the recent weather and I did the whole walk without rain.

The trig rests on a huge cairn of boulders, and it took me over five minutes to cover twelve feet to get to the top over the boulders with wind tearing and ripping at my clothing and throwing me off balance. I tried to take photos from the trig but it was impossible to hold the iPad or the camera still enough. I did manage some shots after retreating from the summit, but it was not easy. It makes you realise how difficult it must be getting the vital shots from Himalayan summits.

The road I came on continued steeply down hairpin brands to the coast and a dead end. Here an old quarry workers' village has been restored with outside displays, a museum and a café.

Return to caravan was by ridiculous, tortuous, single track lanes. Fortunately there is almost no traffic, but in future I reckon I will take the longer routes on the main roads.











1.Yr Eifl from the car park. I traversed round the righthand side and ascended from behind.

2. Yr Eifl trig.

3. Looking south west towards the end of the Leynn peninsula


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

8 comments:

  1. these two are definitely (by report, of course), appropriately classified.
    (i'm in the mood for s....t s.....m, for reasons i'm sure you can guess)
    we had a walk in local chiltern woods today - sunny, middlingly brisk breeze, also almost bone dry 'high' (!) up, except where hooves and studded bike tyres had chewed the clay cap.
    but, deep in the dales (they don't call them that of course), the bournes are welling vigorously, scouring the narrow lanes - where we were all charged and soaked by splashes from ludicrous SUV's.
    hope all goes as well as it seems so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting stuff and you sound as if you are revelling in it. I hope conditions improve for you though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gimmer- couldn't interpret your abbreviation, just when I thought your strengths leaned more towards Suduko. Perhaps you should make The Times an offer to compile their crosswords. Those horses have got a lot to answer for. Wenlock Edge was all disgusting gloop on my LEJOG walk due to equine traffic.

    Afoot - hi Gibson. These little hills are proving a bit more challenging than I anticipated. Not much chance of weather improvement, but I will battle on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job you've still got your own teeth. Pronunciation might otherwise be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RR - not the full se unfortunately. Being a bit of a Welshophile I have a Welsh dictionary on my iPad but it doesn't help much with pronunciation. In the little village shop below this summit I had coffee and a muffin and enquired about the pronunciation of Yr Eifl - it sounded something like: ar rawful. When I repeated it the two locals agreed I had done so correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll explain by encrypted email (not PC enough for the public prints - and, seeing that you are in Wales, this doesn't mean Plaid Cymru!).
    Imagine you are a Korean trying to speak Danish and you will get Welsh (or the Gaelic) pronunciation about spot-on - so they say.
    Closer still with a bitter gall in the cheek, perhaps.
    Hardly a breath of wind here today - but as Seatallan is only ca130M higher than Yr Eifl, these tough 'little' hills will be good training.

    ReplyDelete
  7. addendum:
    Welshophile - apparently this is pronounced 'w- (or ou-) -allophile', a 'gallophile' being a lover of the French, despite 'Le Pays des Galles' being French for Wales.
    How could one ever know?
    Something to think about next time you are puzzling out what language is being spoken, perhaps: that really must have been the funniest moment ever 'blogged' - at least it reads that way! Your future as a script writer for the Goons is assured.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gimmer - thanks for the education. Reply to your email will arrive shortly.

    For reasons I can't understand, and that much narked me when I first discovered the Marilyns, I didn't make the connection with M's physical attributes. I was chagrined when it was pointed out to me by John Proud ( Bowland Climber). It should be spelt with an apostrophe.

    ReplyDelete