For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Monday 28 April 2014

Day 3 - Monday 28th April - Settle to Thorlby (between Gargrave and Skipton)

The King William the Fourth guest house in the centre of Settle was excellent. Immaculate decor, spotless, and very comfortable bed. Good breakfast and friendly welcome from Jaqui ( I think, sorry if I got name wrong).

Off to a good start in the morning feeling much fitter and gung-ho. Now much warmer and no wind. Fabulous walking after ascending to the tops often along those enchanting dalesway lanes with surrounding limestone hills, larks singing, and that on top of the world feeling.

Descent to Airton. Nibbling lunch on the bridge looking at the river Aire sparkling in the sunlight, and then over the tops again to Gargrave. I had arranged for my friend M who lives in Ilkley to pick me up. It was only 3:00pm so I walked another 3km down the canal to Thorlby where I was collected and driven back to splendid eating and an entertaining evening including a visit from M's friend J.

M is going to drop me off in the morning at Thorlby to re-start where I left off. I could have just carried on from Ilkley, but whatever happens I would like to think I have attempted to follow all of my planned route. At some stage that will be revealed in detail, but for the moment the outcome is uncertain with my knee problems, and I don't want to make myself look stupidly ambitious.

I will try and do the photo thing with the new camera next time if circumstances are favourable.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

  1. Great start to your trip Conrad. Lovely part of the country.
    Wondered whether you are managing to keep mainly to footpaths?
    Fingers [or should it be knees] crossed for your physical wellbeing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An uplifting post Conrad. It sounds like you are in idyllic countryside, mostly unfamiliar to me, but I was with you in my imagination as you walked along those lanes and over the tops. Looking forward to the next instalment with some photographs perhaps. Pity about THE HAT btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it was a Tilley, they will replace any lost hats F O C I believe.
    I hope you manage to continue. Sorry to hear about your daughters problem. Its a horrible feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind comments about King William the Fourth Guest House in Settle - we are pleased the walk is going well and we will keep tabs on your adventures!

    ReplyDelete