For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Sunday 28 September 2014

SWCP, Two Moors Way Aftertmath 2

Ten days before the end of the walk, when I fell on the road at Axmouth a recurrence of a previous affliction started. In 2009 I had a bacterial infection in my right ankle and leg which took a month to sort  via intravenous drip administered by health visitors to my home. This now started again in my left ankle.

I did not mention it on the blog, but I was in some discomfort for the rest of the walk, although that was on and off and usually settled down each day once I got walking.

Back home my gp put me on the same antbiotic as before which showed some improvement, but on Saturday things deteriorated and following the gp's instructions I went to Kendal hospital this morning, Sunday, and have now been sent to Lancaster, and I am typing this having moved from waiting room one to waiting room two to a cubicle. All that has taken less than an hour here so far and the doctor has been very thorough and informative. I am awaiting a blood test result which is being done here and now.

Further report to follow.

13 comments:

  1. Hello Conrad

    I had just finished watching your excellent slideshow when I noticed this post. I do hope you have a speedy recovery. Best wishes from us both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness you're being seen rather quickly. Here in Hanover, I'd still be in the waiting area of the hospital's emergency room...unless I were bleeding out...I hope.

    Wishing you well, Conrad, and a speedy, uncomplicated recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could occupy your time finding the nearest ant and checking whether he's having to make do with a man-biotic. Just imagine doing keyhole surgery on an ant - plenty of opportunities for choosing the wrong knee.

    I am of course sorry about your sufferings. Rather than stoically hide all references to them why not weave them into your posts but in a jocund, semi-philosophical way,

    Eg, This morning I got up in separate pieces rather than going the whole hog. Ikea's new manual is a great help...

    And there's a pun waiting to be used involving Kneeless in Gaza (or Heartless in Hereford).

    Measure walks in the number of times you sit down and/or lean against a wall to take an unnecessary photo.

    Hours of vicarious fun for your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope whatever treatment is being given is doing the trick and you're on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, that is bad luck. Hope you make a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All - Thank you for your messages.

    There has been the usual hospital debacle.

    Here is a summary I prepared to let my gp know what had transpired after spending the whole of Sunday and then the whole of Monday in numerous hospital departments.

    Saturday 27th Sept. - ankle became more inflamed again and swelling returned therefore:

    Sunday 28th Sept. 2014

    10:00 am - Kendal Primary Care.

    Bloods taken. Told to go t o A and E Lancaster.

    11:00 am - A and E Lancaster.

    Told that area of infection too small to justify intravenous antibiotic. Doctor concerend about possibility of blood clot.

    Blood test initiated. Result - no adverse signs, but told scan required. Sent home to await phone call for appointment, tomorrow (Monday). Left Lancaster A and E 4:00pm.

    Phone call circa 9:00pm confirms appointment for tomorrow at 10:00 am at Lancaster BUT says they now want to do further blood tests.

    -------------------------------------------

    Monday 29th Sept.

    9:45 am Lancaster Ambulatory Care Unit.

    More blood taken. Tests awaited. Doctor says indication of blood clot unlikely. I asked what had happened to proposal for a scan from yesterday. He said that was not necessary - his approx. words,

    "With my twenty years experience I can tell you there is no blood clot, but if you really want I will arrange for the scan"

    Scan arranged.

    Saw doctor again. Scan shows small clot in lower part of left leg. Doctor prescribed self injections at home daily for two weeks and appointment made for further scan - 13th October. Told to continue with and finish current course of Clindamycin.

    Depart Lancaster hospital 4:00 pm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good on you for insisting on the scan! Clots are sneaky little devils, and the sooner you locate them, the better. Hope your home GP keeps an eye on you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Conrad
    We've become avid readers of your walking reports since our lovely chat over breakfast at the Ax Estuary camp site, and we hope you're soon on the mend, so we can continue reading of your travels!
    Take good care
    and best wishes,
    John & Terri


    Sent from John's
    iPhone 5

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite a medical saga, I won't comment further in print!
    What on earth are the self injections?
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete

  10. The Crow - yes Martha. That is something I learned the hard way. When it comes to your health you've got to stick up for yourself and that is not easy when you are at a low ebb.

    -----------------

    JES et al - welcome to the blog and glad to have another commenter. It was immediately after I had fallen that night we met that I noticed the start of the inflammation, albeit having no direct physical connection with my tumble.

    ----------------------

    BC - the injections are Enoxaparin,150mg, once per day x 14. I understand they are to thin the blood in consideration of the blood clot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just noticed this, Conrad. I do hope you get sorted. It's that sort of 'medical' experience that curbs some of our desires to move to your part of the world!
    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Phreerunner - Hi Martin. Thanks for your message.I'm just doing an update post.

    ReplyDelete