For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Thursday 24 September 2015

Boston to Barmouth -celebration meal?

Eating in the Min-y-Mor

I was booked in here by the TI Office. It is a family seaside hotel on the front and out of town with glorious views across the sea to Abersoch.

The room is to a good standard including a full bath bathroom.

I have descended to eat.

There are three location options. The bar - seems full of noisy, shell suit family holidaymakers, the restaurant - a huge room, cold, that could sit fifty or sixty with not a single table occupied, and as I am shown round the options, the Bistro, "where there's perhaps more atmosphere" I am informed, well the emphasis should be on the word "perhaps". Four of eight tables are occupied, all by elderly couples rarely speaking to each other, and then only in subdued, almost whispers. There was more life in Tutankhamen's tomb.

I sit down and feel stifled. I want to jump up and shout " Geronimo" very loudly, then trundle the Calf rock off down into Ilkley. I think my ordering of a second pint of draught beer convinces all that I am alcoholic.

Salt and pepper is obtained from battery powered mills which make a chainsaw-like noise, but produce little result, so if you want a decent amount you risk embarrassment for the lengthy noise as every body watches. The waitress tries to liven things up by switching on some fairy light window lights. - gasps of amazement from everybody; but the people near that window object and the lights are switched off. At last a bit of spirit from somebody. For the first time ever I am crying out for Muzak.

Gayle - Slate table mats. Perhaps they are ex-platters that people objected to ?

Sent from my iPad


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

8 comments:

  1. well done indeed - you certainly do sound to have enjoyed it -
    go on, have a few more pints - after all , its not Sunday - and a bit of scandal won't hurt:
    off down the M6 in the early hours for a bit of S&M over the weekend
    rgds to R&V

    ReplyDelete
  2. You painted such a clear picture there that I feel like I'm a fly on the wall (muttering 'glad they know to use plates for the food and slate for the placemats'). I know the Min-y-Mor; used to play pool there in my yoof.

    As a bit of a random aside: The first time I took Mick out for a meal in Barmouth, we went to an Indian just down from The Crown. It was an establishment a good 10 years behind its time, but being the only curryhouse in town at the time, it was reasonably busy. Half way through our meal, a couple arrived at the next table and ordered two Chicken Tikka Massala and a bottle of Blue Nun. That itself raised my eyebrows, but not as much as when, a short while later, the chap sprang out of his seat, dropped to one knee and whipped a ring out of his pocket. He asked nicely, she said yes, then he sat back down and they continued eating in silence as if nothing had happened. As we left, I commented to Mick how surreal the evening had been, particularly with the goings-on at the next table. Turned out that somehow Mick had completely missed the proposal (even though it took place about two feet away from him) in a dodgy curry house over a bottle of blue nun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, and it does sound more enjoyable than the Boston to Abbotsbury trek. The weather makes a difference too. I'm back in Wales again, finishing off the Pembrokeshire coast path, and weather is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gimmer -
    Urban Dictionary defines S and M as sadism and masochism!
    Not sure what you really intended, but presume you refer to floor work.

    Instead of more beer I went to to sit in the comfy leather armchair in reception and ordered coffee and a Cognac, but they had never heard of the latter so I settled for Courvoisier.

    I hope you enjoy your S And M whatever it is.

    Cheers

    ---------------------------

    Gayle - I do enjoy a bit of people watching. I suppose one should remember that others may be watching you.

    ------------------------

    Coastal walker - thanks. Looking forward to more of your Pemrokeshire. It is special for me - used to stay on a little farm CL near Fishguard in the caravan with my wife.


    C.

    Sent from my iPad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahaha (dissolves into late night laughter - must be the wine). Slate place mats are popping up everywhere. You might even find them in Leyburn, where you certainly won't be yearning for Musak. (I hope you like jazz.)
    "Bad news. Arrived at this village after four hours non stop walking to find the village seat occupied." I like your style, Conrad - perhaps if you had stood next to them and recited the periodic table backwards they may have moved!
    I've enjoyed catching up. Will be in touch again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phreerunner - I was reared on jazz - saw almost every major American jazz band and groups in Bradford when the unions lifted the embargo on their visits in the Sixties. We considered pop to be rubbish so I missed out on Rolling Stones, Queen, Black Sabbath etc. but in more recent years have dabbled here and there and realise that there was some great music there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK. Caught up now. What a superb walk and the weather was very kind. Good of the B and B to keep in touch along the way. I certainly didn’t envy your day on the tarmac from Bala but its a lovely route to the sea.
    The tractor btw is the first TE series Ferguson built in Coventry. I can just see enough of the grill through the engine bay and the give away shape of the hood. Much of this old machine can still be found of small tractors still being built today.
    So. Where next?

    ReplyDelete
  8. AlanR - Yes. A worthwhile, interesting and varied walk. The Tarmac alongside Bala was not so good, but a very quiet road. I had to do something to shorten the distance for that day - the official route followed a series of convoluted footpaths which I surmised would not be easy going and adding perhaps a couple of miles. The Tarmac from Lake Vyrnwy to its end was dreary, but the remainder of Tarmac from there to Bala was all delight. The Saloman Eskape GTX shoes I bought in Wolverhampton with Mick and Gayle's help are excellent.

    ReplyDelete