For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Tuesday 15 September 2015

Boston to Barmouth - day 10

Crateford ro Beckbury

Yesterday's post was a disaster. Too tired. Too late.

Today has been the best so far - perfect weather after initial drizzle. A coffee shop at the right time in Brewood (Brood) with coffee to die for, items of interest occurring at regular intervals, and the knowledge that I can be picked up again at any point I decide to stop. Yes, Mick and Gayle have a offered me another night and related chauffeuring so I am now awaiting pick up at my destination.

A big advantage of the last few days: the ability to "flatpack". That is a word M and G picked up on their Pacific Trail meaning that you can just carry day items in your rucksack because you will be returning to your start point at the end of the day. I love the American language - they also talk about "doing a zero" ( rest day), a Nero (short day), and a Flip Flop (getting dropped off at the far point and walking back).

My famous Mountain Warehouse trail shoes have now done about 300 miles and they are wearing down to the innards of the welt at the heel - don't know if they will last - could have bought some Hi-Tec fabric waterproof boots in Albrighton for £50 but thought better - yes, they have a shoe shop there!

----------

After being picked up M and G drove me to Go Outdoors in Wolverhampton where I bought new shoes, and we then went off to dine.

Earlier in the day I was a bit frustrated about my number of faffs so put off investigating an itchy scalp for a while. When I removed my hat I found an earwig crawling around inside. After shaking him out I pondered on his journey - it was probably like being kidnapped in the UK by plane and parachuted out over South America.

A bit further on I was passing a cottage on a quiet country lane and chatted to The lady in the garden. Yes, Mick and Gayle, I was invited in for coffee and a very pleasant chat. Thanks Margaret - it was great to meet and hear about your positive attitude.







How many breakfasts could a B and B get from this mushroom?


This is what horsey people make horses do. There was about half a mile of intermittent quagmires like this. I don't know much about horses but I imagine they don't enjoy this sort of thing



How do you like your Virginia Creeper?




This is apparently top of the class in tractors. I spoke to the driver. It is self steering as well as having other computerised attributes - £1000,000 plus

STILE COUNT - I lost count yesterday - not sure if it's 98 or 102





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

  1. Price should read £100,000. Can't edit post sent by Blogpress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You beat me to it Conrad. The Fendt 700 series which is what i think it is going off the hood detail is a top end tractor but not worth a million. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll blame autocorrect for putting 'flatpacking' instead of 'slackpacking'. The one applies when one applies slackerism* to backpacking (e.g. By not carrying all of one's gear). The other applies to wardrobes bought from Ikea.

    (*made up word alert)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alan R - I have a better photo which you will hopefully see. I am restricted to 5 pics only with Blogpress so need to be selective.

    ----------------------------

    Gayle - thanks. You are the best auto- corrector I know.

    ReplyDelete