For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Monday 8 February 2016

Green Quarter Fell (Outlying Fells)

Sunday 7th February 

Hollow Moor          NY  468 039 

Nameless summit    NY  473 042

The general area is called Green Quarter Fell.

Wainwright:

"...the long easy climb is without excitement and its accomplishment is gratifying only as evidence that there is life in the old dog yet."

I wouldn't agree entirely with W but it was certainly one of the less inspiring of these outings so far, especially with gale force wind and cold, and with the threat of rain ever present.

W. gives the option of a detour to Skeggles Water, only a few hundred yards each way, and I opted out of this. But I was a bit taken aback with W's dismissive comments...

"Skeggles Water, lying in a vast bowl of heather, is conveniently visited on this walk but is an uninviting place with attractions mainly for bird watchers and anglers".

... almost as if those two  pass-times were the lowest of the low. I think he must have walked this one in a narky mood. He may have had a wake-up if he'd asked some bird watchers or anglers about their opinions of fell walkers.



Skeggles Water, venue for undesirable bird watchers and anglers?

Splendid view of Kentmere horseshoe from Hollow Moor summit  - CLICK TO ENLARGE.
Kentmere Pike and Harter Fell right.
High Street and Thornthwaite Beacon centre.
Ill Bell Yoke and Foswick left.


8 comments:

  1. You are certainly making good progress with those outlying tops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is more blitz than bagging. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this then your plan, to complete these outliers before the Spring, and remain fit for the Greater Ranges ?
    Serious determination and dedication indeed !
    The northerly/westerly ones will need a little longer weather window, i imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like catching up time if and when the weather allows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alan R and Afoot - The southern ones are ideal for a quick foray from home. The more distant ones may slow thing down a bit, but some of them have the advantage of multiple summits in one hit.

    ----------------------

    Gimmer - There is no master plan. I just take every opportunity to get out when the weather allows and as these are mostly short trips relatively near home at the moment I can take advantage of short weather windows. I think "keeping fit" for the kind of walking I do these days is more a matter of just getting out there on a regular basis. No need for training marches with a rucksack full of stones and the like, more a matter of preserving the body to concentrate on my desired objectives.

    -----------------

    BC - You'll probably do a couple of these short ones at one go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps (literally) a change of direction. Walking up vertical walls, for instance, if only during that period of tranquillity between non-sleep and sleep. Don't forget your blog offers opportunities for imagination as well as an eternal Recording Angel mode. Fiction is not a dishonourable state; even Swallows and Amazons turned out to be untrue.

    Think of it: walking up the tower of what used to be Bradford Town Hall, then turning and... seeing Wyke! There: I've given you a first sentence without a trace of a grid reference. Prove you're not a prisoner of facts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. RR - A main purpose of my blog is to keep a record of my outings for my own reference, and I know that fellow outdoory bloggers are interested, especially as I try to introduce interesting observations and hopefully some humour, but I reckon pure fiction would be out of place in that context.

    ReplyDelete