For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Sunday 4 December 2016

Wyre Way in sections - 6



Saturday 3rd December '16

Green from Hambleton - across ferry to Fleetwood, then back and return via pink.
On the Fleetwood side the rest of the Wyre Way is the green and the pink my proposed return from the finish at Shard Bridge. That may be done in one or split into two

There was more of interest to see on this section compared with the frequent mud baths on the previous one.

That set me thinking about the difference between these country/urban walks and what I consider to  be the more uplifting forays into the hills, but they both have such different merits.

Compare with photos below, this photo from the wilds of Scotland, obviously taken after achieving a good height on the hill rather than a roadside snap, therefore hinting at that achievement and demonstrating the resulting reward.




Please click to enlarge
-------------------------------------------------



The huge pylons carrying electricity from Heysham Power Station across the Wyre - note the far one way in the background on the other side of the estuary - click to enlarge

ICI (I think) across the Wyre

Back down the Wyre salt marshes

The ferry from Knott End goes across the narrower gap to Fleetwood before the widening of the estuary.

Knott End is an insignificant cut off sort of place, but this is their impressive golf clubhouse

See below

Click to enlage

The ferry is on the way across - these guys were beating a retreat from their fishing


Aboard the ferry
I had to wait an hour for the return - time for a tea and bacon butty


The ferry boat, looking back across to Knott End



8 comments:

  1. Missed that Lowry tribute.
    Didn't bother with the ferry crossing.
    See you next week on the western side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knott End rings a bell. At what must be the very extremes of memory in your case we went for a holiday in Blackpool with Mother. It rained throughout.As a treat we took the tram out to Knott End, went to and fro on the ferry, then returned. Or was it Morecambe? We stayed in a boarding house with a communal dining room and the other holidayers chatted a lot. Not our scene at all; I seem to remember the mother of an adjacent brood being critical of our behaviour and this made me uneasy. Nearby was a children's playground with a slide and a roundabout - the same other mother said rather vaguely the playground had "a big dipper" and I went there full of anticipation. Only to be profoundly disappointed. There was a lot of disappointment in those days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BC - although I am in my late 70s I still see a ferry trip as an inviting adventure just as much as a 6 year old would.

    ------------------------

    RR - Yes, I have a very dim memory - was it Mrs. Lawson or Dawson, the landlady? I remember getting on a train at Forster Square station in Bradford - also an impression that Mother favoured the extremities either north or south of Blackpool rather than its centre. I can't imagine anywhere more out of character for her to want to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I managed to miss the matchstick man at Knott End, shame. Enjoyed the ferry but remember we were asked to walk back UP the slippery landing quay so they could hose it down and make it less slippery for us to then walk back DOWN along. Health and Safety gone mad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. decade phase definitions
    early seventies - 73 to 76 (70-72 is late 60's)
    mid seventies - 76 -79 and 363 days
    late seventies 79 and 364 days - ~

    At last I understand - you have to go there and back on the ferry because you cannot get back to the bridge and thus your starting point following the west coast section the same day and it is de rigeur as well as fun to do the ride rather than simply walk back from Knott End - maybe you explained that somewhere but it escaped me - I have never quite understood the need to follow these man-made prescriptions quite so rigourously, but I do see that it is part of the objective - the Suilven ridge is another matter, of course

    ReplyDelete
  6. gimmer - It is a strange route, its originator seems to have something in his or her head that was not obvious to others, as per your decade definitions. The route is like a dog's bone (a loop at each end). The first loop into the Bowland hills is logical, but why he or she wanted to extend it into the Fleetwood peninsula only he or she knows.

    As I have said before I much prefer routes of my own making which amongst several other attributes leave one free to modify and wander as one pleases.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruth -Much amused with you little anecdote brightening my breakfast this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should have added that the 'ages of man' thing evolved from a discussion of the 'seasons' - astronomical and meteorological - and how the one is fixed and the other a function of observation, perception and variation !

    ReplyDelete