For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Wednesday 12 April 2017

Berwick - day 3

Day 3 - Wooller to Rothubury - Wednesday 12th April


I had arranged to raid the breakfast bar this morning so I was off to a good start for my twenty miler at 6:00 am. I think this early DIY breakfast may become a regular allowing me to arrive at destination with time to blog and do my chores, and likely have a little lie down. That didn't work today.

Last night I ate in the Milan, an Italian restaurant across the road from Number One my B and B and owned by them . It was disappointing mainly because I ordered a dish that didn't suit me. I also ordered what I thought was an upmarket lager (something ...berg. that I hadn't heard of before.) It turned out to be cherry flavoured cider - ugh! In fairness they changed it free of charge.

I have only spoken to a farmer and his friend all day - a bit lonely, but fine walking.

At one farm there was a huge cow barn, without exaggeration 150 yds. long. There were hundreds of cows inside all lowing away making a huge sound, almost harmonious and even fugue like, reminiscent of some powerful atonal modern music - quite an experience. My route finished strenuously for a twenty mile day over Cartington Hill. After the descent there was a forest walkout to Rothbury but at one point I just couldn't find the start of the path after crossing another track and had one of those dreadful three quarter hour episode thrashing through felled forest terrain - a pity spoiling to some extent a great day and making my arrival at Newcastle House, Rothbury too late for comfortable sorting time. I am now typing this in the dining room knowing that I still have everything to sort for tomorrow back in my room, but I have just had excellent sausage, bubble and squeak and carefully cooked mixed veg. Lemon Sponge and custard are on the way - a hearty finish to a toughish  day.






It was a day of fords. There were others. The final photo is Carrington Hill.

2 comments:

  1. I can't remember the details of your route, beyond the fact that you had a hard Day 3 planned, but I hope today was easier, didn't involve a thrash through a forest - and that it involved some random stranger offering you refreshment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gayle - you can now see the details for today there was nobody about at all. I think I've already got day numbering mixed up. Will try to rectify.

    ReplyDelete