For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Friday 14 April 2017

Berwick - day 6

Saturday 15th April. Great Whittington to Traveller's Rest (NY 959 586)

Last night's meal in Brandy Bank was again excellent. A delightful cod based risotto for starter made by Helen. Michael had cooked an absolute classic boeuf bourguignon accompanied by creamy mashed potatoes and veggies, and to finish a home made sort of chocolate soufflé - all beautifully presented and the perfect meal for a hungry walker.

There were two others guests from N. Ireland, a couple on their way to a wedding. He had been a weekly newspaper editor and also had acquaintances involved in Northern Bank which was taken over by National Australia Bank along with Clydesdale, and Yorkshire Bank, my erstwhile employer. Incidentally I have now been drawing the pension from YB longer than I worked for them - very satisfying. All in all we had wide ranging conversation - a particularly pleasant encounter. 

I was dropped off again at Great Whittington for 9:00am for a fairly easy twelve miler, although the pull up out of Corbridge was a bit of a tester.  It was only six degrees when I started. I got that damned zip stuck again several times. As I have said in a comment reply, having zip failure in extreme Antarctic or high altitude regions could be fatal. I wonder if they produce any better quality for that gear?

Walking was varied with good field paths, and farm tracks.

Corbridge, albeit an attractive town, was too busy this Easter Saturday and endless traffic ploughing through the very narrow streets with narrow sidewalks, made for frustrating walking for the many pedestrians. I sought out Grant's, a renowned bakery shop recommended by Helen at Brandy Bank and stocked up with some goodies; it's great to see such shops prospering, I had to queue to get served - quality wins.

After the steep road climb out of Corbridge there was a final trek through a pleasant mature birch and pine forest. I had some unreasonable foreboding about the Travellers Rest. It is in the middle of nowhere, but when I arrived I found a quintessential English inn with people finishing off serious lunches and a homely atmosphere. So far so good. I have asked for a breakfast tray so I can get an early start for tomorrow's eighteen miles.


Aydon Castle. I stopped for coffe and biscuits.

Grant's bakery. A great find.

Looking back to Corbridge
The Traveller's  Rest

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not thr only one who has zip problems. I have one anorak I pull on and off like a jumper because I don't feel confident about getting the zip to work! Sounds a wonderful part of the country and also lpleased to hear the cooking up there is of a high standard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've commented on zips in the previous post.

    Seems that walking gets a lot more enjoyable when you are able to cleave to middle-class norms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. delightful - causing delight, charming. A somewhat glitchy adjective when yoked to a cod risotto. But then you're risen from cantankerousness in these two paras: excellent, absolute classic, beautifully presented, perfect meal, wide-ranging, particularly pleasant. No need to look for the jug of ameliorative sauce, the necessary effects are spilling from your vocabulary. Again I sense a middle-class environment; subtly different from those concentrations of caravanners.

    Meanwhile Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan (alas now transferred to Sky Atlantic) are again re-creating themselves in a bogus tour which lurches from one three-star restaurant to another. Perhaps you'll meet up with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can tell that you are thoroughly enjoying this walk through some lovely countryside Conrad. Berwick was a favourite overnight stop when going on holiday with my parents in the early 1960s - kippers for breakfast was fashionable at the time I recall. Other than that I don't know the area at all but it sounds full of interest and variety. I sometimes think I'm too wedded to the Highlands and really must get to Northumberland and a few other areas soon. Your pictures are still uncropped by the way. Thank for a lovely post to start my morning. What the rest of the day will bring is another matter. I hope this comment is coherent given the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete