For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Friday 22 February 2013

"Don't you know that it's worth every treasure on earth to be young at heart"


After exchanging comments for several years with fellow outdoor bloggers I was pleased to accept Martin’s invitation to join his 12 mile walking-by-numbers plod round my own Arnside/Silverdale territory.

It was good to meet Alan Sloman and Alan Rayner, and all. Thanks for making me so welcome. In particular I was given much sound advice about my knees by a lady, whose name, I am sorry to say, I did not obtain, but whose career as a nurse, obviously vocational, cheerful, and optimistic, must have benefited many.

Having lived in the area for eleven years I thought I knew every footpath, but Martin’s route took me on several I had not walked before, and when put to the route finding test on a few occasions I was embarrassingly unable to help. Finding The Pepper Pot was like discovering Atlantis, you never really believed it was going to be there.

And here is the best part, (for the Young at Heart), for years I have enviously read about The Chocolate Brownies (that confection is a favourite of mine), and up till now first prize was held by Lucy’s on a Plate at Ambleside, but Martin’s have taken over, especially with the added value of sampling them whilst admiring the view across the Kent Estuary from Arnside Knott, which after eleven years I have never, ever taken for granted. Surprise surprise, brownies were served for a second time to celebrate locating The Pepper Pot.

My knee replacement recovery from last May has been a matter of very gradual improvement, and I have only been walking about 6 miles before it becomes stiff, uncomfortable and to some extent painful, and I had intended to shortcut  this walk halfway round, but the good company carried me along. Although the symptoms were apparent at the finish, recovery is now much more rapid, and I was out again the next day doing another six miles down the canal, so things are improving.

Once again thanks to all and especially Martin for an excellent, well organised, quality walk.

The start at Leighton Moss car park

Lambert's Meadow


CBs







9 comments:

  1. Thanks Conrad, it was lovely to meet you and I hope we see you again soon. It wasn't Alan Sloman who was there BTW, the second 'Alan' was Allan Roberts, one of the regular Plodders from Wigan.
    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phreerunner - Thanks for the correction Martin. I am hopeless at names etc. I would like to come again if some future locations are within reasonable striking distance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Conrad I just wish that being young at heart would translate to the legs as well!

    Looks like your day went better than mine. A bike ride which turned into an unplanned walk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welshpaddler - Hi Bob - I hope it wasn't too serious. Are you going to post about it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welshpaddler - One person's anecdote always encourages others tell their own of similar subject, and I can't resist this time:

    One troublesome memory of derring-do occurred on my ascent of An Sgarsoch and Carn an Fhidhleir, remote Munros southwest of Linn of Dee. I met two guys on the first summit, and they beat me to the second by taking a shorter route. I was nettled.

    Back at the bikes I saw the young duo some distance down the track. I was determined to restore pride by beating them back to Linn of Dee, a ride of about 10km.

    I was inspired, and at one with the bike, born along by the gods. I passed the junior-hards at great speed in a whirlwind of rattling stones and dust, heightening my senses yet again, and I pressed on.

    Three kilometres out from Linn of Dee I was abruptly stopped by a loud cracking sound. My rear wheel had submitted, but with clamorous protest, to a large stone, and it now looked like something out of a Salvador Dali painting - all bent and droopy.

    The two Munro usurpers arrived, and were able to interpret the scene instantly. There was no conversation between us, they just passed by. I squirmed as I imagined their conversation, and pushed on with my wounded mount back to the car, a sadder and hopefully wiser egoist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought i must have dreamed that walk when Mr Sloman was mentioned.
    "Well" done on the distance walked and i'm glad your knee is doing good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alan R - Thanks for your comment, and sorry for causing confusion. Maybe I WILL meet the reclusive Mr Sloman one day?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely walk that Conrad, I had been hoping to join you all, but I was on on child-minding duties. Another time hopefully.
    I have met Mr Sloman and can report that he is a gent, and very good company.
    Seems like more evidence that your knee is on the mend.
    Cheers,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  9. BeatingTheBounds - Hi Mark. I enjoyed the walk. I'm unbelievably still finding paths I have not walked before.

    It's midnight, and I've just finished Peter Wright's Ribbon of Wildness after reading Dave Hewitt's Walking the Watershed a couple of weeks ago, and posting about it. Wright's book has been a difficult read compared with the delight of Hewitt. I will be posting about all this shortly.

    ReplyDelete