For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Tuesday 22 September 2015

Boston to Barmouth - day 17

Lake Vyrnwy to Bala Tuesday 22nd September

Last night The "oggie" turned out to be a glorified Cornish pasty and I have to say it was delicious, but it was unimaginatively served on a token bed of mashed potato and nothing else. What a disappointment, especially considering the £11.50 price, for what could have been a good meal with a little more thought. I was still hungry. Normally I would go for a dessert but ended up ordering the paté from the starter menu. Now this arrived with a small Kilner jar containing a massive amount pâté and salad leaves, and four slices of toast and maybe something I have forgotten . It was good. The point is that this starter was much more of a main course than the Oggie. The place I was eating in was a good class bar offshoot of a very expensive spa hotel - the sort of people who should know what they are doing.

'Twas rain all day, on and off, never heavy. I pounded the six miles from the lake dam to its other end in 1hr. 40mins. There was nothing to see, it was tree lined on both sides
.
Four kilometres of mostly steep ascent followed to get to the watershed and the descent down the Hirnant pass. I felt fit and walked more or less non stop all day. From Lake V onwards the scenery just got better and better.

It is supposed to be fifteen miles from Lake V dam to Bala - not sure what my exact distance was ending up at the White Lion in the Main Street, but I took exactly six hours so that was a minimum 2.5 mph - not bad for an old codger.

Looks like I'm going to finish early on this walk on Thursday.




1881 to 1888. They knew how to build in those days. I love this architecture


On the way up to the Hirnant valley down the other side


All Tarmac but who cares with this kind of scenery


Now then you tractor buffs. What about this one?


Bala.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

  1. Pleased to see you continue to make good progress. Nearly there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Conrad, an example to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coastal Walker - you're doing pretty well yourself.

    -_______________

    Welshpaddler - it's Wales that's keeping my spirits up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Oggie Man: https://youtu.be/Ue63QK5itTc

    As ever, I'm thoroughly enjoying following your travels :-)

    jj

    ReplyDelete