For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Thursday 10 September 2015

Cross Britain Way - day 4

Grantham to Hickling

I have got one post behind and hope to catch up tonight. But logistics are against me as I sit in the Royal Oak at long Whatton, Loughborough, but my next post will reveal all about that.

If I don't write the same day I seem to loose all spontaneity, and yesterday is a distant memory. I try to determine where I am heading each day and if possible confirm camp site existence or book accommodation. Research told me I would have no problem camping at Hickling and eating at the Plough, but there is always a modicum of anxiety as one marches as to how this will turn out.

The days walk was fine and varied with two sessions on the Grantham canal.

Arriving at the Plough I was told about a Caravan Club CL across the road. The site is in the garden and strictly by CC Club rules for a maximum of five caravans, and no tents. The aged lady was concerned about a marquee which may arrive any time for some village event (it was now 6:00pm). At the same time she was heroically looking after her husband who was in the advanced stages of Alzheimers and kept dragging some parking signs about with no obvious purpose. I commented about my brother with the same affliction and said he was in a care home, and she said, " so he should be but for me". I have to say I felt sorry for her. She let me camp (agsinst the rules) next to the little greenhouse.

I had fish and chips in the Plough. The batter was crisp, very much to my taste, but it's quantity in proportion to the large portion of properly cooked, fresh fish was out of all proportion. I finished off with Eton Mess and an excellent coffe, so not a bad meal. I navigated back across the road by headtorch and tramped through the now dew wet grass to my little tent and a fairly comfortable night.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment