For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Saturday 5 September 2015

Macmillan Way (Coast to Coast)

Day 1 - Saturday 5th September 2015

Boston.

I am overnighting in Boston prior to starting this LDP tomorrow. I'm back at Y-Not guest house where I stayed earlier this year when I walked the MW Boston/Abbotsbury.

A pre-arranged visit to brother RR for a celebratory meal has dictated complicated logistics. Yesterday I drove to Hereford and stayed overnight with RR and V (thanks to you both for a good meal, good wine and good conversation).

Today I took the train from Hereford to Boston leaving my car at Hereford where I will travel to at the end of this walk for the aforementioned meal.

Regulars will know I have to wear the dreaded vascular support stockings. I had a new pair prescribed by my gp specially for this walk. When I opened them up they were the toeless kind and also flesh coloured rather than black - too late to sort out, so I have been wearing them. During the day I experienced pain in my toe joints and thought my feet had swollen in my trainers and as I walked to my B&B I slackened laces but eventually discovered it was the new stockings working like a tourniquet across the base of my toes - stockings removed - instant relief. Fortunately I brought the previous ones so I will be wearing those for the rest of the trip.

Went for a meal in a decent pub in Boston centre, 15 mins. walk. On the way back it was dark and a bit scary with groups of eastern European horticulture workers and other hoodies around. At one point a group of English youngsters addressed me, admittedly in a joking sort of way, "Have you got a spare split mate", but still a bit worrying.

I've booked a B&B in Donington for tomorrow. They have just sent me a text saying there is a fund raiser for Macmillan at the church in Wigtoft, a small village on the route where they will be serving refreshments until 4:00 pm. Sounds good. I may end up being converted.






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment