For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Saturday 4 June 2011

Fwd: Welsh Boundary Walk - Greyhound Inn to Port Burry



Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Conrad Robinson <conrob@me.com>

Subject: Welsh Boundary Walk - Greyhound Inn to Port Burry

I got up at 5.00am and departed at 5:45 after a mild midge attack. At Crofty the post office was still closed at 7:10, but a local said "they'll be opening anytime now", but I've heard that one before, so no breakfast there. My plan for the early start was to beat the heat of yesterday. I pressed on to Pen-Clawdd (what a name) and just as it looked as though I was drawing blank again I rounded a corner and there was a large supermarket, CK's Foodstore, with customer toilets, a cafe, but no socks (one of my two pairs of Brasher Wool Ultra has worn out.) I had scrambled egg and bacon on toast and a piece of cherry cake and two pots of tea. The transformation in my marching and general attitude was dramatic. Compared with yesterday there was a slight breeze making things much more comfortable.
A couple of hours later, just after crossing the River Loughor I came across The Lewis Arms at Bynea. The landlord was outside but he said they were closed, but asked me what I wanted, and when I said a brew of tea I was invited in by Stephen Rogers and his wife Liz for a tea. I had a good old chat with Stephen who told me about him doing The International Four Day Marches at Nijmegen in Holland. This consists of four separate loops on each of four days starting and finishing every time at the same point, and each loop being 50km. Stephen said 50 miles but I got my info. from Wikipedia, but even so it is a formidable achievement by anybody's standards. There you go Gayle another cup of tea to chalk up.
At Llanelli I booked ahead into Harbour House b and b, Alunand Marina Clements, at Port Burry. The room was not going to be ready until 4:30 which gave me more than enough time, and I dawdled soaking up the sea, sand and sunshine. At Pwll I stopped at The Pavilion Cafe and had more tea and  watched a fairly high class game of cricket for about half an hour between Pwll and Porthcawl, and chatted to a sprightly eighty two year old from South Yorkshire who had played cricket until he was sixty six, and then turned to umpiring.
Harbour House is a comfortable and welcoming b and b, I have been able to have a bath and also get my clothes washed and dried.
I have just looked at the maps and tomorrow looks like a twenty mile march to Carmarthen. I reckon I have done eighteen today.



Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment