For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Monday 5 November 2012

In the steps of Mole


Sunday 4th November 2012

For Mole it was Spring and spring-cleaning; the only difference for me was the season with a cloudless autumnal sky compelling me to the outdoors and abandoning some intended household chores. Mole had been more assiduous, having completed most of his cleaning, but like me he cracked:

...he suddenly flung down his brush on the floor, said ”Bother!” and “O blow!” and also “Hang spring-cleaning!” and bolted out of the house without even waiting to put on his coat. Something up above was calling him imperiously...

I was off back to yesterday’s finishing point on the Lancaster Canal to walk the next section. This trip was enhanced by an unseasonal heavy covering of snow on the distant Lakeland hills.






Dow Crag and The Old Man of Coniston and longer zoom below


A pleasing, and unusual in these parts, avenue of larch or similar

Approaching Farleton Fell

Distant snow covered Central Lakeland Fells


Holme Mills



Pleasant walking - the houses of Holme bordering canal

The canal blocked by a minor road just north of Holme - the canal resumes on the other side

Blocked yet again by the M6 - I took about six tries  to get a vehicle in the pic - very difficult with the delay on "shutter" release on digital cameras, but I was well rewarded with this flooky shot - Farleton Fell in the background 

This footpath took me to the motorway bridge seen in the distance which in a couple of hundred yards arrived at a bridge over the resumed canal - the outward limit of todays section.
I returned by minor roads through Holme.

Distant Lakeland hills with snow

Farleton Fell

3 comments:

  1. Very good, Conrad, and good to see you getting out and about. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes to reinstate the canal - probably longer than it took to build the motorway! Shame that they didn't preserve it at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting to see how much snow there was on the Lakeland Fells at this time of year. It was a cold weekend and their height collected the snow. We only had heavy frost which is a bit of a shock when one has just returned from Spain.
    Once you've gone north of Crooklands there will be less pictures of little ducks swimming around!! ....
    "All along the backwater,
    Through the rushes tall,
    Ducks are a-dabbling,
    Up tails all!"
    - Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phreerunner - As I mentioned earlier I intend to do a post summarising what is going on regarding refurbishment shortly.

    Bowland Climber - Thanks for the additional bit of W in the Ws. - I like that one. I'm sure there are many more relating to outdoor activities to be found on a re-read. It was ostensibly written for children, but the writing style and much of the content would only be comprehended by mature readers; the same applies to Alice in Wonderland.

    ReplyDelete