For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Tuesday 9 July 2013

Radio

I have a pocket radio which with some superior headphones gives excellent stereo reception in most places.

Last night i listened to the whole of Mozart's Requiem, uninterrupted on Classic FM. Colin Davis live at the Barbican, 2007 with BBC assemblage, not sure exactly which. Magnificent. It seemed faster in places than i have heard before heightening the drama.

Sent from my iPad

10 comments:

  1. I know you delighted in those days when you weighed up (literally) the avoirdupois advantages of a titanium pannikin over a cupro-nickel one, a single-piece body sock knitted in llama wool over a three-piecer from Burtons and a poly-diethylene-ribotoxin-cro-magnon tent equipped with hovering mechanism (thus preserving your sleeping bag from damp nights), but it is immensely cheering to read of you saying, in effect, to-hell-with-weight and referring to the audio quality - and nothing else! - of your headphones. I know you secretly yearn for the world encapsulated in the hymn:

    Not for ever by still waters,
    Do we ask the way to be,
    But the steep and rugged pathway,
    May we treat rejoicingly.


    but Colin Davies, Sir Colin Davies, actually, should have been Lord Davies, isn't a bad compensation for wonky knees. An lo, you are even launching into music criticism. I suggested some months ago that music might be a perfect accompaniment to walking, given that the environment is tranquil. Not one or the other, but both. Mind you I doubt that the Kennet Canal deserved the Mahler Resurrection, probably an arrangement of Linden Lea by Eric Coates would have have been more seemly. But you may adjust. And eventually bring out your magnum opus: Ten Great British Walks With Music To Hum Along To.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two bulls' eyes in a row. The first w my Mac comment on your blog, ou rose to that one like killer shark to horsemeat. Anyway I fel wiite buoyed up with this one esprcially the hymn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Err .... Dad please tell me that last post was a victim of auto type??????

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's as far as Blogger would let me go not allowed to tupe or coreect any more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. High Horse - not sure what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was full of spelling mistakes -MOST unlike you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was full of spelling mistakes -MOST unlike you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HH- as I try to keep explaining i get to a certain point with Blogger when it won' let me type anymore, never mind going back to correct the typos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You seem - rather pathetically - pleased to have triggered a response. But say nothing of the quality of the response. There is imagination, sympathy and a thin vein of seriousness in that comment. From now on I will merely transpose quotes from Robert Peston's new work: Articulacy And The Challenge Of Television.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did acknowledge my reaction to your comment, and the appropriate choice of the hymn verse.

    I am being hampered because Blogger keeps switching off my ability to continue typing, so I can't even go back and correct typos. I had turned off auto correction because it was bugging me and that may be the cause, so I have now put it back on. I seem to be typing this ok now.

    I think Peston is a thinly disguised robot.

    ReplyDelete