For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Wednesday 23 July 2014

Nearly as good as a Munro

Tosson Hill NZ 004 982 440m

Remote peak - need to summit two others on the way.

Mist covered all at start. Cleared to perfect day as I arrived at summit.

Two hours to summit compares with Munro times.

Classic ridge/edge walking reminiscent of Derbyshire edges, but higher and more remote - extensive views and rock climbing crags.




The distant trig point and lots of heather in bloom.




Interesting climbing crags snapped on the way back.





Looking down to my car on the way back - the light patch on the other side of the road.

Arriving back at the car I had time to drive to:

Long Crag NU 062 069 319m

I was up and down in just under two hours including fifteen minutes sat in the shade of the trig point having a munch and coffee. Half the walk was on a well constructed but very rugged Forestry Commission road - hard going. The second half was on good peat paths mitigating the uncomfortable FC road.



I tried to think of a simile for walking on this road but when you see the photo there is no need.

----------------------

Road/bridge closure update.

I have now found out the bridge to be closed is not the one leading into Bellingham, so no problems now.

1 comment:

  1. The only simile (not sure I have it right, though)is about the paving material called good-intentions.

    Not exactly right, is it?

    ReplyDelete