For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Thursday 12 February 2015

More Marilynitis

Tuesday 10th Feb 

I log Marilyn ascents on The Harold Street Hill bagging  website. Initially I logged all my Munros, many of which also counted as Marilyns, and since all lists are interactive all my Munro Marilyns automatically appeared on the Marilyn list, and on many other lists I suspect - there are over 70 different hill lists for the UK on this site!

I am currently listed at number 81 on the All Hills list with 507 ascents. I could rise up that list by entering ascents of many other hills that I have climbed that do not qualify as Munros or Marilyns. I am listed as number 35 for Marilyns.

At the moment I am trying to complete all the Marilyns that I consider to be within reasonable driving distance from home for a day's outing. That now leaves me with only four:

Mickle Fell - on an MOD firing range - only possible on certain weekends - next possible 7/8March

Burnhope Seat - NY 785 375

Ilkley Moor - SE 114 452

Melbreak - Lake District -NY 148 186

There are 176 Marilyns in England (excluding Wales) and I now need 45 to complete those. Unfortunately there are a few that were missed on my south of England trip in 2013 including one at Folkestone.

Marilyns (excluding all of Ireland) total 1556 -I have now climbed 364 (23%).

On Tuesday I drove east from M6 Jct. 43 into the wilds to do Cold Fell (NY 605 556). I was taking a gamble on the weather and it remained grey low cloud all day, but no rain. From Forest Head a gradually diminishing track lead to a col then it was two kilometres of deep heather patched with soft snow pockets making for difficult going, and some clever compass work returning from the summit to get back to the faint termination of the track. On the last bearing I headed as indicated by the compass for perhaps half a kilometre then stopped to regroup and found I was exactly on the path - very satisfying.


PLEASE CLICK TO ENLARGE AS SLIDESHOW


Lime kiln on the way to Cold Fell

This kind of dereliction has a fascination for me


Cold Fell lies high up in that cloud and off to the right.


Looking back. The road in photo no. 3 can be seen if you click to enlarge

Cold Fell summit. It lived up to its name


No comments:

Post a Comment