For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Wednesday 27 May 2015

Flore to Fox Hill Farm (west of Moreton Pinkney)

Day 8. Wednesday 27th May

I called at the village store in Flore this morning. It is run by a likeable and personable guy called Ash and we had a long chat. He came to the UK from Kenya in 1975 with nothing and worked as a postman for sixteen years. He now has this store and a son who is an accountant and a daughter who is a solicitor. As a boy in Kenya he remembered walks in the Rift Valley region with make-do equipment and an abundance of all the African animals which would now be scarce. He became disillusioned with all the corruption in Kenya.

It was not possible to book as far ahead distance-wise as I wanted so today was a relaxed twelve miles or so through varied and interesting scenery.

At Canons Ashby there is a National Trust house with accompanying tea rooms where I dallied.

Further on, coming out of Moreton Pinkney I met a resident lady dog walker and we walked together for ten or fifteen minutes. She had played hockey for Yorkshire, and I think England and had also played cricket - a pleasant encounter.




They call these kissing gates. They are normally wood construction but this is vintage iron de-luxe at the entrance to the churchyard coming out of Flore


Grand Union Canal


Church Stowe church and the Nene valley


Interesting flint architecture in Farthingstone


The National Trust tea room at Canons Ashby



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment