For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Friday 26 August 2016

Torridon 8 And 9

Thursday and Friday, 25th/26rh August

Yesterday it would have been foolish to walk unnecessarily with the bash snd cut on my shin from Wednesday's trip so I rested up and caught up with my reading. A walk across the road to the shop and a chat with the lady there informed me of a medical centre at Torridon so that was target number one for today.

I was concerned about the cut getting infected so I was off down the road early arriving about 8:30 but they didn't open until 9:00 but I saw the receptionist and she gave me an appointment for 11:45. I sat and read my book for a while then drove off down to the café in Torrridon village. I met a guy called Tony from Lymington where he owns a static caravan site; he was touring round Scotland and walking using his newly acquired motor home and we chatted for ages until I set off back to see the doctor. I got talking to Tony because when he walked into the café he was carrying the SMC Guide to the Munros, a good ice-breaker. The lady doctor was very welcoming and helpful supplying me with some proper dressings and good advice and reassurance, so thumbs up for the NHS. I spent the rest of the day on a pleasant drive to Poolewe with a nostalgic visit to Inverewe Gardens. I last visited with my late wife Ann around 1971 shortly after being married and before the children came along. The story of Osgood Mackenzie of Gairloch (what a wonderful name) and his creation of this magnificent garden is one of great endeavour and vision including the initial planting of Scots pines and other species over an area of a hundred acres to provide a basic windbreak, and waiting for years for them to mature enabling the planting of a huge collection of plants, shrubs and trees from around the world. Osgood dates from 1842 to 1922 - after mixed history the gardens are now run by National Trust for Scotland

I've just got back to the caravan and intend to have a meal at the Kinlochewe Hotel for my last night, then off back home tomorrow, hopefully watching Bank Holiday traffic going in the opposite direction.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment