For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Wednesday 31 August 2022

Trigs 99 - visit 2

Tuesday 30th August 2022

1. Carr Hill (The Cranks)                          SE 275 925    76m

2. Viewly Hill (Barf Hill)                          SE 400 860    67m

3. Eldmire Hill                                          SE  429 752    41m

4. Marton-le,Moor (Skelton Windmill)     SE 373 695    58m

5. Bland Close                                           SE 298 685      99m

6. Whitwell (Thifegate Lane)                     SE 244 910    146m

The new i phone 11 came into its own today after returning the first offering due to a faulty on/off switch and then having a problem transferring the data from the old iPhone 6, including my Memory Maps OS 1:50 and 1:25 . That was achieved with the help of the excellent Apple Support system where one speaks to a real person quickly and  nothing seems to be too much trouble.

Gayle asked whether the new acquisition had been a blur moment, Blur moments are spontaneous purchases made almost without one knowing it has happened, only to dawn when one reviews one's credit card statement later. The new iPhone purchase was in the opposite category. You battle on with some item that irritatingly performs just up to the point where you can't justify the cost of renewal.You will it to do the decent thing and fall on its sword. That of course doesn't happen. Eventually you kid yourself that one of those dubious justifications gives you permission and then you make the long debated move.

Carf Hill trig involved a short walk up a deeply enclosed lane but with a serendipitously placed rusty iron gate climbed to enter the trig's field. Crackly stubble crunched underfoot. Trigs hidden in hedges seem to be a recurring feature on this map. That is odd because the whole point of a trig is to be able to see and measure two others distant, Hedges pre-date trigs so I wonder.

The sat-nav in my Kia performed heroically during the whole day. I was soon at Thornton-le-Street where I parked at the end of what I thought was a private road leading to Thornton-le-Street Stud marked on the map. As it turned out I could have driven on this  tarmac road all the way and saved myself a couple of kilometres walking but it was pleasant going through quintessential English parkland. First view of the stud gave the impression of an opulent country house but on getting closer it seemed to have been converted into rather shabby looking flats. At one point I passed massive badger excavations that would have daunted one our erstwhile canal navvies.

Minor roads from the A 168 passed through a huge industrial estate where I missed the hidden continuation of my public road and some trekking back and forth ensued. A quick walk up another stubble field made me realise my unplanned fortune that this trip was happening after the crop had been cut. Yet another one hidden in a hedge (with nettles.)

Marton-le-Moor had me parking on a minor road and walking a hundred yards to a junction with very a busy road belying its  B6265 status. I had to walk another hundred yards or so on the grass verge with non-stop vehicles whizzing past at seventy mph to find yet another hedge incarcerated trig. I suppose it would have been quieter when they were erected between the 1930s and 60s. but I couldn't see how they may have observed others from this spot even then.

Bland Close - see map:


There are two possible approaches:

1 From the north driving through Ripon housing to what I thought would be a private track (yellow) to Bland Close with unknown surface or right of access.
2. From the south on a cul-de-sac minor public road continuing as a bridleway (blue) leading in about 1 km to Bland Close.

I chose the latter. The bridleway proved undrivable. I reversed back into a farmer's field at the end of the tarmac. The farmer was loading hay bales and we chatted. He confirmed that the yellow track from Ripon was drivable so that would mean eliminating a potential two miles walking. The farmer was very forceful in telling me my best plan was to drive back the seven miles to the northern Ripon option but that didn't appeal to me. It only took about ten minutes to walk to Bland Close by the bridleway from the farmer's field. This business of meeting people who try to insist that you follow their alternative route to your plan is not uncommon and one has to learn to treat such advice with caution. 

The farmer at Bland Close pleasantly gave me permission to visit via yet another stubble field. He said he would be grateful if I could lift the trig another metre to raise it from its 99 metres above sea level to 100 metres.

A quick drive had me to Thiefgate Lane and the final trig (in a hedge across a stubble field would you believe?)

Sat nav gave me the "quick" option back over the A66 or the "short"  back through Uredale, Wensleydale and Garsdale to Sedbergh. There was only seven minutes difference. I had a magnificent drive all the way on endlessly clear roads - 'twas all like re-enacting Stirling Moss's Mille Miglia.

A Grand day out.

Carr Hil trig and...

...looking back after having climbed the gate from the lane

Parkland on the way to Viewly Hill

Thornton-le-Street Stud. Turned out to be shabby flats

Massive badger works

Thornton-le-Street Stud trig

On the way to Eldmire Hill

Eldmire Hill trig

Marton-le-Moor trig. "For those in peril on the B6265"




Bland close trig and...

... the view therefrom

Thifegate Lane trig






9 comments:

  1. I remember you having similar agonies over your last iPhone purchase, but struggle to believe that it was so long ago that the jump was from the 6 to the 11. (One of the many impacts, albeit a minor one, of Covid is that I seem to have lost 2 years and feel that, for example, things that happened in 2019 were just last year. This compounds the general issue of time flying.)

    If you're not by chance hitting all the hedgerow trigs first, then I'm impressed at how many are so sited on a single map sheet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That drive back sounded as exciting as the hedged in trig points. Seems you have entered a parallel universe in map 99.
    Does that metal plate signify that the pillar is in present usage?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gayle - This is my first update since the 6. All is going well now. Some of the hedge residing trigs I know have been moved there by the farmer to prevent obstruction in the middle of the field.
    ----------------------------------------
    BC - It would have been better in the MX5. I see that metal plate occasionally but can't understand what qualifies it to be attached to selected pillars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The trigs that have been moved, legally or not, is their position on the 1:25000 correctly marked?

    ReplyDelete
  5. BC - moved trigs are obvious, GPS is generally accurate to within about five metres from my experience, so if you correlate your GPS marker over the trig on the map and the pillar is not there it has been moved. Those that are often found buried in hedges must have been put there originally but when the hedge was less pronounced, or perhaps they cleared that part of the hedge. The pillar has to be sighted where they can see two other ones distant so that could leave little option for the positioning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had completely the wrong idea about this trig point bashing: I had imagined that the aim was to make a continuous walk around a strategically sited network , picking up trigs as one went: clearly not. Whilst it hardly makes frequent flying seem less of a gold medal winning global warmth-inducing pastime than one thought, it must still be quite costly these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gimmer - The main raison d’être for this campaign is firstly to have an objective to aim at over a modest period of time, with hopefully the satisfaction of its achievement. When I looked at the trigs plotted I recognised that the eastern half would be somewhat mundane but the now remaining western half covers what I anticipate to be a good exploration of the high ground of Nidderdale, a region that I have hardly touched before. Up until now, and also for some of the remaining trigs I am sort of serving my time, absolving my conscience helped by the anticipation of the more fulfilling Nidderdale ones. I intend to savour and treat most of those as one-offs incorporating each in a six or seven mile round.

    Having said all that I have had much pleasure so far and although, excluding Nidderdale, I never intended to have long walks*, rather to mop up as many as possible in one visit by driving in between. That also helps with, as you say, the cost of travelling such distances. I’m not sue whether you refer to my financial cost or the cost to the environment, both I suspect?

    * When I totted up the individual sections of this last trip I found I had walked almost seven miles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sigh at your prodigious labours but it's no good I'd be too easily diverted by the placenames you pass by but rarely expatiate on. One burning question: was Barf Hill christened before the Australians brought forth a word for the human process (in Australia, anyway) which results in The Technicolour Yawn? Well I only arsked.

    And then there's Thifegate Lane which must surely have been labelled by someone who lacks a roof to his mouth. Bad taste on my part. I know, I know. Ah, all is explained. You transposed.

    Finally, even if Chatsworth were available for sixpence I wouldn't buy it if it were located in Bland Close. I imagine this voie sans issue is populated by non-voting members of the electorate reading carefully preserved versions of The News Chronicle which ceased publication in 1959 (I think).

    Oh damn. I failed to notice The Cranks. Are you sure your walks take place in the country once known (without irony) as Great Britain?

    You can see why I'd never make the distance. Is Thornton-le-Street distinguishable from Thornton-le-Village. Go on, accuse me of trivia

    ReplyDelete
  9. RR - My daughter used to live in Grime Street (in Chorley.)

    ReplyDelete