For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Tuesday 11 October 2022

Watching the news

Tuesday 11th October 2022

Every morning I read the BBC News and the Guardian News on my computer, whilst munching my toast and marmalade and taking onboard several cups of tea. I also watch the Six o' Clock News on BBC and often the Ten o' Clock News on ITV as well as other news and current affairs programmes from time to time. 

News is mainly bad and of late it has become increasingly worse with obvious global disintegration, and with old age ever looming and other problems I have found myself becoming increasingly depressed (quite seriously.) But I continue to feel that I should  keep myself properly informed. The occasional snippet of light relief in the news therefore is more than ever welcome.

I am a sucker for a good animal story and this morning The Guardian for a moment side stepped missiles in Ukraine, the UK going bankrupt, and famine and drought worldwide providing me with a little chuckle over my breakfast.

Read the article as well as watching the video.

You will need to copy the link and paste it into your browser. I couldn't make it work the normal way.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/11/larry-the-cat-fox-no-10-downing-street-chief-mouser-pm

9 comments:

  1. A little light relief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should read the Star instead - I'm not surprised to hear that the combination of the G and the BBC have driven you 'spare', as the saying used to be

    ReplyDelete
  3. The immediate questions that spring to my mind (from my position of someone who avoids the news bar skimming the headlines a few times a week) is: why do you feel the need to keep yourself informed? In what way is it serving you? What would happen if you chose not to take in any news for a time?

    I ask these questions (and please don't feel any obligation to answer) as the wife of a news obsessive from whom I've not yet elicited answers that make sense to me (again, from my position as a news avoider).

    ReplyDelete
  4. there is the old tale of the farmer who never listened (obviously pre-tv days) to the news, even in wartime, saying that by the time he heard it, it was too late to do anything about it - except the weather forecast , which was the only thing that he could use to good effect - earthier words than that, I expect - but basically true - like investment advice from columnists . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you are not listening to the news today.
    Chaos which I struggle to understand.
    A general election is needed as soon as possible before the country is bankrupted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BC - What we need are people of any political persuasion who are dedicated to the good of the country and actually running it, rather than concentrating on their individual chances at the next election.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just watched Truss's press conference, I know I shouldn't, completely out of her depth as I would be. I think I'll read the Star tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since my two surgical excursions I've had the Guardian delivered. But the difficulties the newsagent has faced in employing young lads willing to rise early in the morning has meant the service was intermittent. I decided to resume my earlier practice and call in at the filling station or Tesco's main store. This resurrected earlier times when I used the store only to find some censorious right-winger was regularly trying to hinder my choice of The Guardian, carefully placing two copies of The Daily Telegraph on the pile of Guardians. And he's still at it! Now you know me, I'd only read the DT if the balance of my mind was disturbed. After all who wants to be tarnished by any form of contact with those two great philanthropists the Barclay twins?

    But more than that I'd question the DT's editorial judgment. This was the paper that used to pay The Untidy One £150,000 a column for rants about his intellectual prowess as a potential PM. And he now waits in the wings, his porcine eyes a'glitter, looking for another opportunity to emulate his great hero Churchill. Leaving us with an interesting exercise: who deserves the upside-down Oscar between The Blonde Bombshell and Ms. Robotnik? Answers in green ink.

    ReplyDelete
  9. RR - Not sure about the upside down one, but Larry the cat for a right-side-up Oscar in recognition of symbolically evicting the vixen.

    ReplyDelete