For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Sunday 11 December 2022

Another Resistance agent dropped in France,

 Sunday 11th December 2022

This Lysander kit was bought ages ago and was shelved because I was not confident about the construction of what is a fairly advanced kit. Now it has been completed along with only the second diorama I have attempted.

With its short landing and takeoff ability this aircraft was used in WW2 to drop off agents for the Resistance in France and to bring back downed RAF pilots who had been sheltered by the Resistance. Remote landing strips such as village football fields were used and most operations carried out under cover of darkness. These Lysanders were painted black

My diorama depicts a Lysander having landed at night-time in France - the pilot and a new agent are being greeted by a Resistance man from a hut.


Daylight view just to show context and more of the finished model


I hope this video captures the atmosphere I was trying to create which was the motivation for buying this kit in the first place. Hopefully you will be able to select Full Screen. You may see the first pages for the next You Tube video but ignore and just open my video. I can't find how to stop that on You Tube.

******************************
I am still afflicted with the breathlessness which did improve quite a lot after the antibiotics but it is still not right and I am undergoing various tests with the doc. I can walk round the block here, just over a mile, but more adventurous walking is on hold.

7 comments:

  1. The video shows up quite well, very atmospheric.
    You may want to edit the post's title, unless it is in secret code.
    Will catch up later with all the other problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BC - thanks. No secret code, just my inability to type more than four letters in a row before making a typo, coupled with the fact that I would never have got a job as a proofreader.

      Delete
  2. I played your video when I saw it come up on my YouTube feed, and a moment later Mick came into the room. He immediately said "A Lysander!" and filled me in on much of what you've said about it in your post. His plane spotting skills impress me again!

    Hope answers are soon found to the breathlessness - or even better, that it gets better of its own accord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gayle - easier than spotting (and identifying) submarines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suggest you edit this a bit. From what I read, they doused the wheel lights almost immediately on touch down, relying on the maquis to have made a smooth enough track, never let light shine from the reception group, and never a fixed point like a hut - impossible to avoid leaving evidence and fatally vulnerable to ambush - a torch from a bush or hedge, perhaps. I realise this may marginally reduce (ie make it invisible !) the visual impact of your diorama, but . . . .
    A fiendishly intricate model - I could hardly see some of the parts you had to assemble, let alone manipulate them , so 'bravo', to use what i'm told was a genuine '40's phrase !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gimmer - Fair comment - I was of course aware of all that but I couldn't resist using the lights on the aircraft and learning new LED techniques - a bit of blogger's license.

      Delete
  5. You could, of course, have illuminated the scene in black light . . . i was amazed at the minute intricacy of everything on that model: it was the lack of such precision and realistic workings that finally finished my Meccano 'career' ! If it still exists, I expect it is full of such electronic wizardry and exact machining.

    ReplyDelete