For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Thursday 2 July 2009

Post number 15 (Roy Bridge – Glen Spean)

Thursday 25th June 2009 – rest day

During this trip I had developed a strange problem. On both ankles I had sustained circular horizontal scratch marks resembling the broad threads on a screw-top bottle. This must be something to do with my boots, but despite detailed investigation I could not analyse the cause, and thereafter resorted to fixing large bits of Elastoplast for protection, and this has generally been successful. The boots are well past their best and really need replacing – they have been resoled and one of the soles had become detached which I had fixed with No Nails, screws and staples (very satisfactorily). I had a similar problem on the LEJOG walk which is detailed in the journal. All in all I have had bad experience with resoling boots which is bad news because the soles seem to wear out long before the uppers. Anyway on this rest day I decided to go into Fort William and look for new boots. Ellis Brighams had only one pair of all leather, Gortex lined lightish boots – they were Scarpa GTX and looked ok but I felt I wanted to have some choice so I declined these and went to Nevis Sport: I think that is what they are called, but they didn’t seem to have a sign up. There was nothing worth considering there, and nobody came to ask if I wanted any help so I gave it all up as a bad job. On return to Cumbria I will go to Ambleside where there are more gear shops than people, and I know I will have plenty of choice (I bet I end up with the Scarpa GTX).

No comments:

Post a Comment