For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Thursday 2 July 2009

Post number 18 (Roy Bridge – Glen Spean) Last Munro








Sunday 28th June 2009 – Sgurr Mor – Glen Kingie- 11.4 miles – 4482 ft of ascent (my last Munro)


The big question was whether the knee would let me finish my last Munro or leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere, but inspiration was to hand from the old Ballad of Chevey Chase (Anon), commemorating The Battle of Otterburn, 1388:

For Witherington needs must I wail
As one in doleful dumps
For when his legs were smitten off
He fought upon his sumps.

What a great day! I set off at 7:00 am from the end of Loch Arkaig. The last time I was there was in 1984 when I did Sgurr na Ciche and its two neighbours with Tom. Weather then was appalling and we retreated immediately after the walk instead of staying in the tent because of the worst midge plague I can ever remember. What a contrast today with blue sky and sunshine. It was all very nostalgic walking up to Glendessary, and then into unknown territory over the pass to Glen Kingie. I went straight up the steep south face to the eastern col of Sgurr Mor. I was attacked a bit by normal flies and some biting horseflies, but not enough to spoil things.

The return journey over the pass was very sapping (nearly on my stumps)in great heat and humidity. I was back at the car for 4:00 pm, so 9 hours in all.

I went for a meal at the pub across the road from the caravan site which was quite decent. Draught Theakstons as an aperitif (I was a bit thirsty), followed by smoked salmon, then battered haddock etc accompanied by a couple of glasses of sauvignon blanc, and then some orange treacle tart and ice cream – not haute cuisine but as this was Hobson’s choice it was fortunately satisfactory.




1 comment:

  1. Crikey, that photograph of you: Dad!

    My profound congratulations. Now some lists: The five best views, The five most disappointing ascents. The most difficult to organise, etc.

    ReplyDelete