For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Saturday 13 March 2021

Models update (Lockdown anti-venom)

I have just noticed that reading this live you get so far down then there is a note in small print saying "read more" which you need to click to se the complete post - what a nuisance!


This all started with a chat with my next door neighbour telling me he made plastic model kits. Lockdown was keeping me close to home and I have form in model making going back to my teens. Casually I started looking at what was going on in this world these days and browsing on You Tube I came across a Land Rover kit and I was launched.

Below is a summary of my efforts so far. The Land Rover has been featured previously along with its own little fairy tale.

Click to view if you want

I have not made a strenuous effort to display the models realistically except for the Spitfire, although even that needs setting up properly to exclude extraneous background.

Worth clicking photos to enlarge for slideshow

The pilot is just climbing in and his WAF girlfriend has come to see him off.
I used emery paper for tarmac and modelled the wind sock and used dried mixed herbs for the grass stuck down with watered  PVA glue

Just another angle but a bit of a Photoshop disaster

From rear to front:1/72nd scale Mustang. Sea Harrier Jump Jet. Ford Transit van, circa 1983, and the Spitfire again.

I made an error with the Land Rover destroying vital parts having them too near a heat source to dry. I bought another kit. Here I have just taken the engine and chassis only to use as an exercise in "weathering." I much enjoy creating rust.

De Havilland Mosquito. The hardest part was painting the lines on the canopy


I have now nearly finished a Challenger tank. I think it is my best effort so far unless I mess it up with the final sir brush varnish. A post will follow.

All the models I have built are things I have a strong feeling for. Recently I read the biography of the late Henry Blog, the most decorated lifeboat man, erstwhile coxswain of the Cromer lifeboat. I also walked through Cromer on my Broads to the Lakes walk with happy memories. A modern RNLI lifeboat kit is on the way. 


Challenger tank - work in progress here, but now nearly finished.


2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed with your models and attention to detail, but shouldn't the planes be hanging by invisible threads from the ceiling of your bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BNC - As they all have undercarriages down, presumably coming into land, you may have been reading of "Arnside pensioner dies as last Spitfire crashes on bed."

    ReplyDelete