For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Saturday 19 December 2009

49. Walking influences and kit list

I replied to Crow’s comment by email, but thought some details may be of interest elsewhere

I suppose I was influenced by my elder rock climbing brother when I was about thirteen. My mother took me and my younger brother on youth hostel cycling trips around the same time, and I joined the Boy Scouts leading to camping and meeting others interested in rock climbing. Rock climbing remained as my main interest until I was married in 1970 then family matters took over. I returned to rock climbing in my fifties. My wife died from Motor Neurone disease in 1997. I was still climbing and continued to do so for another five years or so with a good friend with whom I shared other interests. Tony died from cancer about five years ago. I did not want to climb with anyone else after that and returned to more walking mainly on my own, resulting in most of the achievements listed in my profile.

Crow asked “what do you take with you?”

On a day walk I take my mobile, map, compass, whistle, GPS and camera. A spare item of warm clothing, gloves in winter, and if it is a walk of more than six miles or so probably a couple of energy bars and a flask of coffee.


On Grande Randonnée walks I have usually stayed in mountain refuges and gîtes d’étape and therefore not carried camping equipment. See below the kit list from my GR5 trip.

My Lands End to John o’Groats walk included carrying a lightweight tent, inflateable mat and sleeping bag, and cooking equipment. That rucksack weighs about eighteen pounds, not including water and food which often takes the weight to 20 pounds plus.

Next summer I plan to walk in France traversing The Languedoc and The Cevennes and because of the depreciated exchange rate between the Euro and the Pound I will take the tent and camp wherever possible.

Sheet sleeping bag
Gloves (for sun protection when walking with poles)
Hat (anti sun)
2prs underpants (one being worn)
2prs socks (one being worn)
1 pr v. lightweight running shorts
Waterproof jacket )
Waterproof overstrousers ) both lightweight
Pertex v light cagoule
3 x thin base layer shirts (one being worn – washed and swapped daily -clean one can be worn in hut at night)
Lightweight fleece
Water bottle
Camera and spare memory cards and spare batteries
Camera download lead, tripod
Sun cream
Compass & whistle
Phone charger with two pin adaptor
Spare specs
Sun specs
French dictionary (V. small)
Binnoculars
Elastoplast (I metre length) )
Constipation pills (Senokot) )
Immodium (anti DeliBelly) ) separate plastic bag
Eyedrops )
Ibuprofen and Paracetemol )
Germolene )
Toilet paper
Swiss Army Knife )
Gas lighter )
Fuse wire )
Zip ties )
Torch + 3 x AAA bateries ) separate plastic bag )
Needle & thread )
Tin opener )
Hihlighter for maps )
Nail clippers )
Velcro )
Adhesive tape )
Toothbrush/toothpaste/flannel/ 4 x Bic razors/ Shaving oil/Soap
Travel towel in lieu of normal towel
6 x clothes pegs
Books to read
Maps
Map case
4x spare plastic food bags with Lakeland snappy closures
2 x handkerchiefs
1 pr lightweight sandals
Passport/flight docs./Travel Insurance docs (done through BMC)
Cheque book(s)
Address list and labels
Mobile phone
Walking poles
Notebook
2 x pens and 1 pencil
Water bottle: (1.5litre Lucozade)
To be worn at outset: one of the thin base layers.
Long trousers with zip off legs to make into shorts, this being the usual dress during the walk; the long trousers are ok for the hut at night and also for flights and other conventional travelling.
Underpants, socks and boots.
Also waist bag with wallet, GR5 guide and current map, specs and other bits and bats needed whilst walking to save taking off rucksack with resultant frustrating foraging.

3 comments:

  1. I was just getting to your email, but thought I'd check in to my "regulars" before doing so. I don't know what it says about me, but I really enjoy reading your packing list! What a lot of stuff to carry - and to pack in such a small carrier.

    I'm off to make a pot of tea and to read your note and journal.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect you had that list already stored on your hard disc, otherwise it's a formidable feat of memory. No one has asked me what I take with me when I act as porter on Mrs BB's expeditions to the supermarket. In a trice I am able to reveal all. The house keys and a grubby handkerchief. Not enough for a grande randonnée but perhaps sufficient for une petite chute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BB - Bien sûr it was on the computer.

    When it was originally compiled it was done backwards way round by listing the items I had already assembled, so no accolades for my memory.

    I also noticed that it was done in Times Roman which is a script I rarely use these days being one that causes me to think of quill pens and dark Dickensian scenes.

    Spellchecker suggested "Dickens Ian"

    ReplyDelete