For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Saturday 29 May 2010

Day 4/5

A nine hour day although fairly easy walking on forest tracks. It was raining when I set off but I was able to don the wets by about 10.30.
I arrived at Pradeles to find the gite d'etape locked up. I asked a lady and she told me the gardienne was in the process of removing. She then directed me to the assistant mayoress right down at the bottom of the village where I had just ascended from. Back down there the lady was non too pleased but we slogged back up the hill again and she opened up the gite where I stayed the night as the only occupant. This was self catering.

Day 5

Another long day more up in the hills now at 2500/3000ft. Pleasant walking largely wooded. Very small villages have little to offer and seem to be almost deserted. Water is always on the mind. There was a bad section of about half a mile on a forest track contouring on a very steep hill side. There were many large trees that had fallen accross the path with multi trunks and it was neccessary to climb steeply above and round them. This repeated several times making for very hard going. I am now at Labastibe Rouairoux where once again the municipal gite has been opened up for me. I have stayed another night here so I am now typing this on Day 5. The next section is about 40 miles with nowhere to stay - there are a couple refuges but they are still closed. I am going to have to wild camp at least two nights so today I am regrouping planning an early start tomorrow morning
I have now found that every time I make post it is costing me £4.49 so in future I will post only every few days.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like it is hard going in terms of finding shops and supplies - should have done the Bear Grylls course before you went!!! lol!! Do you want me to forward recipe for rabbit stew??

    ReplyDelete