For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Sunday 18 October 2015

What time do you get up?

My brother has just posted about SAD (seasonally affected disorder):

"A medically identified condition whereby one tends to be depressed by winter. Augmented in my case by rising at 06.25 into a dark world.

Brother arises early to pursue his novel writing.

I have posted this as a comment on his blog, but also grabbed the chance of using it here.

I empathise with your early rising. Circumstances have dictated that I now arise at 6:00 am on three mornings per week to receive granddaughter Katie at 7:00 am while Mum (High Horse) goes off to her teaching job. On one of those mornings my duties only extend to dropping K off at nursery at 9:00am, and on the other two I pick up at 12:00 and supervise until teatime.

The big difference here is that your version is voluntary and mine enforced. Yours requires more self-discipline, but mine is, I guess, more traumatic  physiologically - I feel like a limpet being torn from a rock. When daylight prevails earlier in the year I have a feeling of smug satisfaction that I am making best use of precious time and would say to myself, if I was arising at say 8:00 am, “I have wasted half the day". Such contrasting differences are sure to affect my mental state in opposite ways.

Having said that I enjoy my role. K is all delight, and much better behaved with me than I think she is with her mum. In particular listening to the building of language and intonations is fascinating - it is a bewildering miracle of human development - how the hell does it happen?
Taken today

Katie will be four next week. This photo was a year ago.



3 comments:

  1. Oh, she's a sweetie! My times with my Opa Willi were my best. But I think we were both morning people, because by the time I scampered into his bedroom to wake him, he was dressed and ready for action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rouchswalwe - Thanks for your comment. I hope the brewing is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm keeping an eye on the weather and hope to be able to brew for the first time this season before October ends!

    ReplyDelete