For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Thursday 9 June 2022

Marton and Bank House Moor (west of Ulverston)

Wednesday 8th June 2022

Circular 6 miles, 870ft. ascent. From Marton via Bank House Moor (311m - SD 245 804) 

I had planned to walk up Easgill from Cowan Bridge, a route in the aforementioned Cicerone's Lune Valley and Howgills guide. I then realised I had done most of that before as well as everything else in that guide that is of personal interest. Time to put it on Ebay?

Late last night I combed the map for previously unwalked territory and hit on  the area surrounding Ulverston.  Bank House Moor trig  provided an objective, not that such is essential but something I like to have.

Forecast said on and off rain throughout but improving. Rain for an hour was mild, not that stuff that penetrates like WD40, nor lashing and driving into one's being, so I was content knowing I had good gear and everything comfortable.

After a long road climb out of the village a path branched  descending through fields to Harlock Reservoir. Here a short enclosed path of knee high soaking wet grass, nettles and thistles was negotiated, but seepage from socks downwards into my boots caused some foot dampness. The wetness lead out to a farm track and back to the road. I had already had good views of Poaka Beck Reservoir as I climbed, and now,  on the other side of the road the prettiest of the three, Pennington Reservoir,.This area has its own reservoir defined character. The mizzle had now lifted from the tops and the rain never returned.

More quiet road walking was accompanied by hordes of corvids  chattering and squawking over who knows what in the roadside fields as swallows zoomed  above and the odd lapwing panicking for fear of nest raiding.

There was no path on the OS map to the trig but the unfenced road gave access to a boundary fence that had a path more or less to the trig and a convenient gate to get back into the area of public rights of way for my return.

With the rain and cloud as history there was a splendid view to the east and the Duddon estuary. There is a curious motorway sign approaching Jct. 36 on the M6 going south indicating "Lake District peninsulas" as if they are a tourist attraction in their own right. which has had me puzzled since its initial appearance. I have never thought of the LD as having pronounced peninsulas, but if one stretches the imagination  I suppose my view was apparent from one pf them across to another.

Descent through fields and then by quiet roads had me back to Marton. A good walk snatched from a poor forecast  not adverse enough to mar the enjoyment.


Looking back to Poaka Beck reservoir. I can find mo information regarding its strange name - any offers? The rain had stopped and the low cloud cleared for my visit to the trig

Harlock Reservoir

Windmills were scattered sparsely all around this area: something we used to object to but now seem to be accepted as an unfortunate necessity



The much prettier Pennington Reservoir

An old packhorse bridge showing the evolution and contrast to the new road - makes one think. I love the stone construction. It seems as though nature will soon totally obscure this little gem

Across the Duddon estuary from Bank House Moor trig 





7 comments:

  1. bowlandclimber9 June 2022 at 10:13

    You have finished your Howgill book faster than I have my Lancashire volume.
    That was an area that doesn't see many walkers but the packhorse Bridge is a gem, and you did get those peninsular views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, BC and I are still ploughing through the 'Lancashire' walks, which are mainly 10km/3 hour efforts. He's ahead of me - not surprising as I have an extra hour to travel to most of the routes. And maybe we'll meet up for one of them one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BC and Phreerunner - I have had only a few walks from that book. The rest I had done before or done large parts of or had no interest in. I prefer to seek new ground.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only thing I can find about the name Poaka is that it is the New Zealand name for a Stint. Probably years ago there were many of these waders in the area. Nothing else makes any sense of where the name may have come from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alan R - Thanks for that - interesting. I wondered what made you go back to this year old post?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Conrad. I am in the area and had a walk planned if I have time. I always check your blog posts to see if you have done a similar walk. In this case you had. You commented that you couldn’t find any explanation as to the name Poaka, so I looked to see if I could come up with a reason. Simple as that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pageviews on Blogger are a mystery. I suspect many arise from search engines and the like, things I have little knowledge of. Anyway it's interesting to get a proper explanation for once. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete