For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Tuesday 28 March 2023

Hellcat 1

Tuesday 28th March 2023
 
Medical issues abound from several directions at the moment but not for discussion here. My distraction policy continues with a daily one mile walk from home and my model making.

My latest project is the Hellcat fighter plane  used by the Americans towards the end of WW2 mainly for the war in the Pacific and to a lesser extent by the RAF which this kit caters for. The Hellcat was used extensively from aircraft carriers. I may try to pose my model on the deck of a carrier, but I'm not sure quite how at the moment and it may not be possible to make it look convincing, especially if I want to keep the overall scene to a reasonable size.

My dictionary defines hellcat: A spiteful, violent woman. Not a bad name before those responsible for appending names to aircraft and cars ran out of imagination - see this link for a bit of entertainment:


The photos below are mainly for information and I have made no great effort to refine them.

The box-art of most scale models is usually of a high standard. Apart from the reflection I have obtained this lives up to that reputation.

The Hellcat was powered by an 18-cylinder
 
Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp
 radial engine

The front end of my Hellcat before the hub for the propeller is added. The body is still in the green plastic of the kit with some overspray in grey from primmer applied (that enables imperfections to be revealed and repaired before proceeding with painting the body colour.)

Now with a full coat of primer. The colour in real life is light grey which the camera has failed to interpret here. The wing,/tail alignment is correct but appears here to be askew because the model is tipped to one side and the whole being foreshortened

The next process is "post-shading." That involves airbrushing the panel lines on the underneath with black which will show through faintly when the final coats of body colour are applied producing a sort of weathered appearance. It is a difficult technique requiring airbrush precision. I have done it once before with only moderate success so I am hoping for improvement this time.
I have high hopes for my "robust" plan "going forward."

**********************************

Another little niggle on the subject of sports commentary.

For a few years now it has become commonplace for commentators to refer to a particular player who was part of a winning team  in the past by saying, for example:

"He/she won the world cup in 2001" inferring that it was their  sole effort rather than the player just being part of the team.
-------------------------------------

3 comments:

  1. Going forward, indeed. Echoes of the weather foirecasters. The one that gets me is "as we head into Sunday". I just hang around and Sunday comes to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given our record of coincidences, as I took a snap of a Hawker Hunter last weekend, I predicted that would be your next model, but it has turned out not to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RR - Is "hanging around" a laudable pursuit?

    ------------------------------------

    Gayle - I am dabbling with the English Electric Lightning but can't find which kit to go for. The best ones are obsolete kits and being sold on Ebay at £100+ as "rare." I also have an American Corsair waiting so the Hawker Hunter will have to wait. I would be interested to hear the backstory on how you came to photograph one.

    ReplyDelete