For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Tuesday 4 July 2023

Taking time out

 Monday 3rd. July 2023

During my walk with Bowland Climber described in my last post here  our wide ranging conversation at one point reminded me of a poem/verse/words, call it what you will, that I wrote some time ago and I thought to dig it out back home. I then decided to re-write it and here it is:



Media news conspires to depress,

Global warming, species extinction, famine. and war.

There are some who care and I donate,

But my conscience is not assuaged. 


Maybe I need some space, temporary denial?

An artist follows News at Ten

She carries a friendly camera through limestone sublime.

No music, just footsteps crunching... and birdsong,

And the varying shush of the wind.


Occasional words with passers-by

And sparingly and gently our artist's artist's thoughts,

And in between, silence…

Silence almost whispers as we value time,

And reflect on pastures green, and wide blue skies

And a river rumbling, then slowing,

To a pool of good brown ale

With clarity letting us see down down deep.

2 comments:

  1. bowlandclimber5 July 2023 at 15:44

    Did the walk alonside the Kent inspire your poetic talents?

    ReplyDelete
  2. BC - if you remember we did talk about the TV series with various interesting personalities walking in attractive countryside with a 360 degree camera on a pole which reminded me of this poem which I unearthed and re-wrote.

    ReplyDelete