For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Sunday 9 July 2023

Unfinished business

 Saturday 8th July 2023

My last post raised a question.

When I am walking and see something off the route I have an innate compulsion to explore and find out more. I also lookout for things to research on the Internet when I get back home. I have noticed many people do not seem to have that kind of curiosity and they can even transmit a disguised minor irritation when I  delay our progress as I poke about to look at the map to find where an inviting looking footpath goes, or examine some other oddity,  or maybe to get a better view of what might be a secret climbing crag. I recognise that irritation when my companion lingers on the spot to wait as I trog off to examine rather than joining me to have a look.

 NOT SO Bowland Climber.

On the aforementioned previous walk with BC we looked across the River Kent from the A590 underpass to see a track coming down to the river from above and branching along the river bank in both directions all looking well maintained, but we couldn't see how far it extended in either direction. The map showed nothing, not even an access point from the road above. 

We both agreed this this must be explored and so that was my mission today.

I had nor gone more than a hundred yards from the car when I was already stopping to look at the map to find the destination of an inviting footpath leading off from an ornate pillar and gate. Further on I came to a barricaded gateway barring the way into a compound I could not see. Signs indicated a connection with the Environment Agency, but obviously not the access for our mystery footpath.

Further on I found a barbed wire protected and padlocked gate with private notices which revealed the path had been provided for river access by an angling organisation. I was not able to find any more about the unusual use of the term "waste fishery" on the Internet. I walked a bit further to where my minor road crosses over the A590 then returned and followed our previous route back to the A 590 underpass. BC had since found out that the limestone wall there was used by local climbers for bouldering. Neither of us had noticed evidence of this and I had a close look and found the unmistakable chalk marks and then a series of red painted dots picking out the line of a long traverse.

I continued on minor roads to make a three mile round trip with two more items of interest.  After risking my life crossing the dual carriageway of the A 590 I found a modest, faded, wooden sign pointing down a track to Cath's Plants. That would not normally be particularly interesting but it had the addition RHS Chelsea Gold Medal Winner. My walking friend Pete's wife Elizabeth was a primary school head mistress, but she could easily have had a career as a plantswoman with her profound knowledge of the rarer cultivated woodland plants and shrubs and their garden is a delight of natural planting. Cath's Plants looked as though they may cater for something more out of the ordinary and I was able to find a website and pass the  link on to Elizabeth in case she was not aware of this apparently hidden source on our doorstep.

A few other footpaths branching off my minor roads were noted for future exploration and then I found an extensive limestone quarry almost hidden from the road which I must have driven past at some time and not noticed, but a couple of hundred yards up a track from the road had me at its base. It was quite overgrown and loose looking, and then tiered  and would not offer much for climbing despite its wide expanse and impressive height of a hundred feet or so.

Quite a rewarding little three mile round trip.

CLICK PHOTOS TO ENLARGE, especially the panorama

Where does this one lead to?




I do not always take heed of private path notices but this lot was enough to put me off

Unmistakable chalk marks, and below, red dots leading off on a long traverse





The fishery path coming down from the road. Below, panorama of its extent













7 comments:

  1. bowlandclimber10 July 2023 at 07:11

    Well done, thought you would take the carrot.
    Even I would have been put off by those Keep Out signs, I never understood why fishermen won't share the path with walkers, where is the conflict?
    So you couldn't get closer to those cataracts?
    I wonder if 'WASTE' is an acronym.
    How far did you get on the red do traverse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BC - Of course I cruised the red dot route and I'm appealing to the guide writers to have it downgraded.

      Delete
  2. I think you will be delighted to learn that following your publicity and encomium of/on Cath's Plants, the old scruffy notice has been replaced with a smart new banner - in the right shade of blue - announcing her presence far more boldly than 'last week'. I've noticed her old notice many times and thought it must be a weedy rundown scrap of a back garden - but now - up there with Wisley itself, thanks to you !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gimmer - I am surprised. From memory I didn't think you could see the sign from the A590. The minor road from where the track departs is not one I would expect you, or anybody, to use on a frequent basis, but I must be mistaken about being able to see the sign. Your suggestion that I had eulogised over this discovery is not really so, my comments were speculative. Not having any strong interest in gardening I did not want to go and investigate but may do so next time I am passing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you didn't see the sign when crossing the A590 as you were more concerned about not being planted (as it were) than planting: looking at the area on apple maps, the site looks quite extensive and well ordered, lying in the purlieu of that curious hotel - i've been in only once, and was quite taken with its somewhat faced elegance, but neither by its occupants nor its coffee. They declined my proffered purchase price.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No you are not alone. I have the same thoughts when I see old machinery or some industrial archeology. I spend ages looking at the maps from 1850’s comparing them then and now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alan R - Good.
    “The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.”
    ― Albert Einstein

    ReplyDelete