For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Tuesday 17 October 2023

Exploration innate?

 Tuesday 17th October 2023

I have rewritten my effort from the previous post:

Exploration innate?

Mankind’s ascendancy achieves the moon walk and the atom split.


I too have that inborn urge, but less ambitious mine.


An unexplored tarn, nearer home than moon.


Those sapient genes dictate. I must explore. 


Impasse: bramble,  chest high reed and blocking trees,


No tarn to see.


Those genes accept but take control


Compelling further search beyond.


Distant, a stag lonely in the landscape .


He ambles  as if in thought, to the field end and gate.


He stops. At three field's distance I  hear him think.


Time pauses. He shuffles back . His haunches gently lower.


As  if weightless  he floats over the defenceless gate .


The gate now lifeless and insignificant below.


I watch him  on his thoughtful way, five minutes or so,


And wonder what  innate impulse drives HIM on his way?


We humans, (and perhaps my stag,) aspire for knowledge,


And by chance, along the way receive gratuitous rewards.


9 comments:

  1. I like it, a lot. I would like to read what your example of a Haiku would be. I bet it would be challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alan. I have looked at haiku before. I am not a student of poetry just an occasional dabbler. Whilst poetry in general compresses the content while hopefully keeping a mellifluous flow of language for me the haiku seems to take that a step too far. I suppose that is an admission of my lack of academia. or the lack of will and hard work required to study more deeply. This is the best I can do off the top my head. There are supposed to be 5/7/5 syllables and some connection with nature. I think I need to take some lessons in syllable counting.

    Haiku studied
    Not much found there
    Leafless tree

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Conrad, very quick and very good. I like this one too, The old train station, Only from the swallows nest, Arrivals and departures.
    Keep it up Conrad that is a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ps, lack of academia my foot,.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alan R - I presume you are "Anonymous.."
    Very good. Is that one of yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Sorry about that. Depending on which device I use to comment, depends if I comment as AlanR as default or not. Crazy. The Haiku isn’t mine unfortunately but for anyone wishing to have a go, it is a fine example. Here is one my daughter wrote whilst in Japan.
      Walk through park of peace. Bombed remains reminding us. Grief for those that died. A good first attempt I thought.

      Delete
  6. I seem to have set everybody off into poetry - See Eunice's latest comment on my Bruno post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BC - I seem to have a little burst every now and then. I do quite often dip into the best anthology I have found: Staying Alive edited by Neil Astley - here is a snippet from when I posted before about it:

    "If anybody out there has any inclination whatsoever to look at poetry I would recommend this volume because it has a huge eclectic range and also it is divided into interesting vaguely related subjects which provides an opportunity to read contrasting views on a particular theme."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I bought one of the Staying Alive anthologies on your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete