For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Sunday 15 October 2023

Awareness

Sunday 19th October 2023


Following from my previous post I have the motivation or impulse to versify but unfortunately not the skills for scansion or rhyme.



Awareness


Mankind’s ascendancy achieves the moon walk and the atom split.


Also for me that curiosity, but less ambitious mine.


A modest unexplored tarn (on the map) not far from home.


Those sapient genes dictate I must explore. 


Impasse: bramble,  chest high reed and blocking trees,


No tarn to see.


My avidity for nature accepts,


Suggests searching further and beyond.


Distant in the landscape a lonely stag.


He ambles  patiently, as if in thought, to the field end and a gate.


He stops. Even at three field's distance I seem to hear him think.


Time pauses. He backs up a little. His haunches gently lower.


Smoothly, as if weightless in space, 


He floats above the gate now inert below like an insignificant ghost.


I watch him continue on his thoughtful way, five minutes or so,


And wonder what  impulse innate drives HIM on his way?


We humans, and perhaps the stag, aspire for knowledge,


And by chance, along the way receive gratuitous rewards.

1 comment:

  1. You have been reading too much Simon Armitage.

    ReplyDelete