For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Saturday 4 May 2024

Tally ho! (?)

Here is part of my reply to an email received in reply to my last post here: "Wearing the Red Coat." By the way for a reason I know not it is referred to by the hunt as "pink."

I understand the meed for culling which is done, as far as I understand, on a pragmatic basis  as humanely as possible and with some debatable justification, but  I still have some bewilderment at my belief that those that perpetrate enjoy the process and do it for entertainment..


What I strongly object to is the traditional hunt where they dress up in fancy clothes, revel in a pathetic social occasion with sycophantic doffing of the cap to the Master-of-Hounds or the Huntsman and observe other effete forms of etiquette, and then pursue the most brutal way one could ever invent of killing animals for no good reason other than  “enjoyment.” That is unequivocal sadism.

Just look at this traditional glorification - it is time to move on.  

Do Ye Ken John Peel?

Do ye ken John Peel with his coat so gay?
Do ye ken John Peel at the break of day?
Do ye ken John Peel when he's far, far away
With his hounds and his horn in the morning

Twas the sound of his horn brought me from my bed
And the cry of his hounds has me oftimes led
For Peel's view holloa would wake the dead
Or a fox from his lair in the morning

Do ye ken that hound whose voice is death?
Do ye ken her sons of peerless faith
Do ye ken that a fox with his last breath
Cursed them all as he died in the morning?

Yes, I ken John Peel and auld Ruby, too
Ranter and Royal and Bellman so true
From the drag to the chase, from the chase to the view
From the view to the death in the morning

And I've followed John Peel both often and far
O'er the rasper fence and the gate and the bar
From Low Denton Holme to the Scratchmere Scar
When we vied for the brush in the morning

Then here's to John Peel with my heart and soul
Come fill, fill to him a brimming bowl
For we'll follow John Peel thro fair or thro foul
While we're waked by his horn in the morning


source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/u/unknownlyrics/doyekenjohnpeellyrics.html

No comments:

Post a Comment