Friday 31st. July 2026
My latest scale model effort ran way with me.
I think all my models have had some kind of iconic value either universally or personally. As one who was born at the outset of WW2 and grew up in its aftermath I have memories of that monumental upheaval and I continue to take an interest.
When Germany invaded Russia they eventually had to admit defeat but with horrendous losses on both sides. The Germans had superior tanks, but the Russians had the cheap, basic, and easy to manufacture T34 which they produced in huge numbers giving them a fighting chance from shear number superiority. The T34 took on legendary status and is remembered now, I wouldn't say with affection, but with much respect.
I researched photos showing Russian infantry raunning alongside the T34s as they charged forward and I had the notion to model that in action. I found a kit with about eight Russian infantry but each figure consisted of five or six pieces and at 1/35 scae they were unreasonably fiddly and from experience I knew these mouldings do not go together well.
What happened in my mind I'm not sure but Russian infantry were sent on leave. I modelled the terrain, and then without too much thought a dry stone wall and a limestone crag appeared making a striking depiction of Yorkshire Dales limestone country.
There was no going back.
I ended up with the fantasy scene of a Russian WW2 tank charging through verdant pasture somewhere in Upper Wharfedale proudly flying the Russian hammer and sickle flag with a mad revolver waving commander.
Just for good measure I added a couple of bemused Swaledale sheep.



Fantastic.
ReplyDelete