Tuesday 15th September 2026
If I am walking a long distance path in sections I do like to walk each section in the same direction if possible. That combined with limited parking in Burnsall had me start this Burnsall to Grassington section halfway through at Hebden, walk to Grassington on Lady Anne's then return via the Dalesway to Burnsall then walk back on LA's to Hebden.
After a one and half hour drive I was able to park just off the B6265 on the road leading into Hebden. Here Lady Anne's way follows the B6265 for a couple of hundred yards. I spotted an old looking standing stone with a cross on the road side. I had not much hope of getting any information from searches, but the now default reply by AI to a search with my browser seems to come up with an answer to everything:
The old roadside stone bearing a simple incised cross on the B6265 just as you enter the village of Hebden(near Grassington, North Yorkshire) is a historic county bridge marker. [1]
- Its Historical Purpose: Rather than being a religious monument or a medieval wayside cross, this stone served a practical, administrative function. It marked the 300-foot limit from the Hebden bridge.[1]
- The 300-Foot Rule: Under old English law (formalized by the Statute of Bridges in 1531), the local parish was responsible for maintaining regular highways. However, the county (the West Riding of Yorkshire) was responsible for maintaining important bridges and the approach roads within 300 feet (about 91 meters) of them. [1, 2]
- The Cross Symbol: The cross carved into the stone was used as a standard, recognizable boundary marker to visually denote exactly where the parish’s highway maintenance ended and the county's bridge maintenance began.
- That was from AI with an acknowledgement to, yes, that is an abbreviated link: u
Surprise susrprise! One of the many potential spin offs from going for a walk. Now you will be able to bore everybody "down the pub" with this fascinating bit of history.
There are two paths leading off that road and care is needed to take the second one, an ancient lane leading to a woodland nature reserve with a flagged path.
After gaining some height I emerged at a ladder stile and a superb surprise view of Grassington down below and and a grand panorama of Yorkshire hills and dales beyond. Another of those dales lanes lead pleasantly down into Grassington. I chatted with a woman tending to her cottage garden. She was an enthusiastic walker and told me of her Coast Coast done in dreadful weather.
It can't be denied that Grassington is an iconic Yorkshire Dales village, or almost a town but it is now almost over the top as an overdressed tourist attraction. I pressed on down to the impressive multi-arch bridge over the River Wharfe which I followed on the Dalesway back to Burnsall. I have walked on all the Dalesway in sections and it mostly follows superb walking country on unspoilt paths and I have always rated it as one of the best LDPs in the country. Some may argue that this section following the River Wharfe is one of the best but it is out of character with the whole in my opinion with engineered pathways and teeming with folk often in large groups. Nvertheless it was sheer pleasure to walk on this bright sunny day.
The route crosses the river by a suspension bridge shortly before arriving in Burnsall. There are stepping stones here and I watched folk having a go, but at my stage of life I reckoned it advisable ro give that a miss, Having said that the suspension bridge is quite long and in the middle it sways and undulates in a fashion that is a challenge to one's sesne of balance and I wondered if I may not have been better skipping the stones.
Burnsall is still unspoilt and the Red Lion rules. That must be one of the most pubby pubs in the country. It has always been well known for its excellent English food and I have memories of several visits over the years. I don't know if it is still living up to its old reputation.
I was now back on Lady Anne's Way following a seriously steep geassy climb out of the village over the shoulder of Langerton Hill and a descent on green sheep fields back to Hebden.
A lot of nostalgia for me on this trip for what is my favourite part of the country, but it is now so much more populated and crammed with parked vehicles and others speeding up down tthe now busier roads, all a far cfry from my youthful days of the late Fifties and early Sixties.
 |
| The old dales path leading off the B 6265 |
 |
| These are climbing crags above Hebden. "Hebden Ghyll" |
 |
| Emerging from the nature reserve |
 |
| Susrprise view down to Grassington and beyond. Photo does not do full justice |
 |
| I do enjoy these old dales lanes |
 |
| In Grassington, and below |
 |
| Leaving the road to embark on the Dalesway and the River Wharfe |
 |
| Hebden road bridge over the Wharfe |
rfe
 |
| Suspension bridge (1885) - see plaque, next photo |
 |
| I am proud of this photo. but a pity the stone hopper didn't have a red jacket |
 |
| Three in one. The Red Lion, Burnsall Bridge and Burnsall Fell |
 |
| The Red Lion. The perfect English country pub. I waited hoping somebody would move the car but no luck - sign of the times |
 |
| Burnsall village. |
 |
| Steep climb out of Burnsall on The Way |
 |
| Looking back to Burnsall |
 |
| I can't work out what hill that is. More or less north from near Langerton Hill |
 |
Green = Lady Anne's Way Red = my route - start finish Hebden, anti-clcokcwise |
No comments:
Post a Comment