For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Tuesday, 8 September 2026

Lady Anne's Way - Cliburn to Penrith

 Monday 7th September 2026

I had been harbouring anxiety about this section because of the long, unavoidable stretch of busy road with only grass verges. I should have been more concerned about the short footpath from Cliburn to link up with that road. The first few yards went through a farmyard in a most unlkely manner but I can't complain because there were footpath signs, but high up on a barn side, and it was only after much toing  and froing that I  spotted them. Further on rough pasture had several indistinct paths, and I wandered without checking GPS before getting. back on the path proper. Somewhere I lost the path again and ended up on the wrong side of a low barbed wire fence that I managed to straddle. It was a messy and frustrating start to the day. I would advise anybody walking this to pay careful attention to keep strictly to the path using GPS and make sure of being on the correct side of field boundaries.

The long stretch of road was not busy and turned out to be more amenable than I had anticipated and although boring I was now able to make good time for this 8.4 mile walk. 

A combintion of lanes and fields and wooded paths followed, all quite ordinary and not much of interest to see. Just before exiting to Brougham Hall the path through woods arrives at a strange home made gate in the wall with no footpath sign, and unlikely as it seems this is the route to follow and then some tricky map reading is needed to get onto the tarmac road leading eventually to Brougham Castle. There is a full history on Wiki for the hall and the castle which you may read if you are a devotee of medieval history, but, as this is part of the raison d'être of this walk here are the relevant sections describing Lady Anne's involvement:

Brougham Hall

The hall, usually sold in third parts, passed through the hands of various families in medieval times. Lady Anne Clifford, 14th Baroness de Clifford, the then owner of Brougham Castle, bought one third part of Brougham Hall in 1654. Amongst other improvements, she re-built the Hall's chapel, St. Wilfrid's, completed about 1659. Lady Anne's attorney-at law and later her steward, James Bird, bought her third of the Hall and manor after her death (1676), being the first person to hold the entirety of the building since the de Broughams.[2]

As castles go Brougham is pretty impressive especially with its

 imperious elevated position overlooking the River Eamont.

 I hadn't time but it would  be worth a visit.

Brougham Castle

In 1643, Lady Anne Clifford inherited the estates, including the castles of Brougham, Appleby, and Brough, and set about restoring them. Brougham Castle was kept in good condition for a short time, after Lady Anne's death in 1676; however, Thomas Tufton, 6th Earl of Thanet, who had inherited the Clifford estates, sold the furnishings in 1714. The empty shell was left to decay, as it was too costly to maintain. As a ruin, Brougham Castle inspired a painting by J. M. W. Turner, and was mentioned at the start of William Wordsworth's poem The Prelude, as well as becoming the subject of Wordsworth's Song at the Feast of Brougham Castle upon the Restoration of Lord Clifford, the Shepherd, to the Estates and Honours of his Ancestors. The castle was left to the Ministry of Works, in the 1930s, and is today maintained by its successor, English Heritage

The road ends just past the castle then easy walking field footpath follows the bends of the river wihich was in lively mood boastfully reflecting sunlight from its fast moving currents. 

Eamont Bridge would look elegant and historic but it is hidden by a modern  ugly conglomeration of iron and steel, I suppose the possibility of something more aesthetic cofounded the designers.

Lady Anne's Way folows footpaths and minor back roads to climb up to the centre of Penrith and the finish, but that was closed beyond the limits of my penchant to trespass and I had to follow the main road into Penrith  finishing at Lady Anne's Way terminus in Duke Street. A taxi ride with a jolly taxi lady took me back to my car at Cliburn.

I am now now looking forwards to filling in the remaining sections from my beloved limestone dales country starting from Skipton. See map below.



Singpost to Larch cottage where I bought rare dwarf shrubs over twenty years ago


Leaving the long busy road into pylon land. They are shown on the OS maps but puzzlingly better depicted on the 1:50 than on the 1:25

A bit of woodland, part of the varied walking after leaving the road


Brougham Hall

Brougham Castle, and below


Sunlight on the fast moving river

Old bridge abutment

Spot the old elegant bridge!

In Penrith

See the street sign, Duke Street, end of Lady Anne's Way.

Green, Lady Anne's Way, pink, the same and my route as plotted


Blue = done
Green= to do

No comments:

Post a Comment