For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Sunday, 4 October 2026

Lady Anne's Way - Hawes to Thwaite Bridge (final)

 Saturday 3rd October 2026

The last  of Lady Anne's Way in day walk sections.

I used The Little White Bus for the second time leaving my car at Moorcock Inn and boardng the 09:27 to Hawes for a walking start at 09:50. There was only one other passenger.

This LDP is certainly worthwhile with a mixture of country walking on easy going Yorkshire Dales sheep pasture and olden day tracks, and then higher ground again on old established tracks in the middle sections, and all in the best of Yorkshire Dales scenery. *

Today's section had all that, but the last two miles on the switchback A 684 with long stretches of uphill was tedious and hardgoing for me. A bit of an anticlimax. Suffice to say that is not actually part of LA's Way but it was necessary for logistical reasons. 

I only discovered the bus service for these last two sections and it may have been incorporated for others if I'd known.


Leaving the A684 just out of Hawes



Disused railway. I went under towards Appersett

Widdale Beck bridge at Appersett

Following the River Ure from the bridge at Appersett

LA's Way after a short section on the A684 to start the steepest ascent 
on the whole route. That enabled me to join my walk 
from Thwaite Bridge on 5th July last year: Click to view post


On the ascent, steeper than it looks.
 Last year's walk gave me the idea of mopping up this LDP being inspired by
 a woman backpacking the route that I met high up on the old rack.

LA's Way continues on the track alongside the wall. 
Here I met my previous walk and turned left through the gate to follow the path back down to Thwaite Bridge,and the sapping two miles dodging traffic back to Moorcock Inn.

Looking back at the tough ascent. I was quite pleased with my performance

 

Back at Thwaite Bridge.

. 

Click to enlarge. 
Light Blue = LA\s Way. Blue = today. 
Red flags = previously researched parking spots

------------------------------- 

 I write "Yorkshire Dales" to incorpoate the whole area which may include parts of other counties.

_____________________

It is becoming inreasingly difficult to construct these posts with Blogger's increasing number of glitches cutting off text or sending it off the end, and problems with underlining and putting strange frames round captions amongst others.  I have had to adopt centre aligning on the captions and create paragraphs where I wouldn't want in order to keep text going off the end. I have spent much time searching for answers on the Internet, some have worked but others not. I have been blogging for years now and am reasonably competent atsorting problems but it is just getting harder and harder. I am not prepared to spend any more valuable time for the moment trying to fix all this.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment