For newcomers

At the bottom of each post there is the word "comments". If you click on it you will see comments made by followers, and if you follow the instructions you may also comment and I always welcome that. I have found many people overlook this part of the blog which is often more interesting than the original post!

My blog nick-name is SIR HUGH. I'm not from the aristocracy - my middle name is Hugh which relates to the list of 282 hills in Scotland compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891. I climbed my last one (Sgurr Mor) on 28th June 2009

****************************

Friday 22 January 2010

55 - More trig points from OS Sheet 91 - Appleby-in-Westmorland

Thursday 21st January 2009

A pleasant outing with Pete - only a few remnants of the recent snow left.

The first trig was Bretherdale Head (NY 582 053) overlooking the pretty valley of Bretherdale which I have seen before but must be worth another visit.

There was no drama so this is mainly a pictorial report.

We finished off with sandwich and chips in The Black Swan at Ravenstonedale - very agreeable. This is a good venue - they serve this kind of food through the afternoon.
















1- Bretherdale Head - 338 m - NY 582 053 
   



East from Bretherdale Head

 



Pretty Bretherdale - the trig is up the slope to the right

















2 - Kelleth - 307 m - NY 664 058
Looking south to northern end of The Howgills


Kelleth

















3 - Wether Hill - 385 m - NY 750 041
Looking south to Wild Boar Fell


Mallerstang Edge in background

 


Zoom to Wild Boar



On the descent

These three trigs now bring the total visited to nine out of forty nine. I have booked five nights on Wild Rose Caravan Site near Appleby from 11th to 15th April and along with Pete I hope to visit the more northerly ones which are a fairly long drive from my home. Very soon after that trip I hope to backpack the previously mentioned Dales High Way.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a very worthwhile and enjoyable use of hill-time. We look forward to following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's better but there are still unnecessary gaps. Get up one morning, punch a hole through a nearby brick wall and say to yourself "I'm going to take HTML by its privates and bend it to my needs." And, after about ten minutes, phone me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. G & L - thanks for your comment and interst. Where was your profile pic taken?

    BB - I will try but I think HTML stands for: Hard To Master Language!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My profile pic was taken on a Meall a' Ghiubhais above Kinlochewe.

    ReplyDelete